Best way to shop for Health Plans

MJN7

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello.

I'm 55 and looking to retire in a year. I called my current employer sponsored provider, United Health Care, and they don't provide individual policies in AZ, where I plan to retire. I need to cover myself, wife and two kids (18 & 21). I'd like a High deductible /Low premium policy, as we're all in good health. Suggestions?

Where are the best places to look for plans?

Thanks!

Healthcare.gov or healthsherpa.com. There are some stickys on this site to help answer common questions. Best wishes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I've used ehealthinsurance.com as well as the ones MRG suggested, sometimes they even agree with each other :rolleyes:

Location and age seem to be the biggest drivers in cost variation.

Start with healthsherpa.com to shop. The go to your AZ exchange or healthcare.gov if there is no state exchange.

Bronze level plans are probably most similar to your current HDHI plan (that was in my case anyway). If the cost of the lowest cost bronze plan exceeds 8% of your MAGI once you're retired, you might also look at catastrophic policies, which are often even lower premiums albeit with slightly higher deductibles.

If the policies offer stacked deductbles, consider individual policies if the premium cost isn't much different. For example, we have individual policies with $6,250 deductible each and premiums for two are the same as a policy for a couple. We are healthy, but if one of us had a health event and a $12,000 medical bill, our individual insurance will pay $5,750 of the bill where if we had a policy as a couple it would be totally on us.

Also, make sure that the policies you buy will cover the kids if they are living outside or AZ, especially if they are not students or dependents.

I used the obvious Healthcare.gov, priced the plans, then went directly to the insurers because I wasn't going to get a subsidy. Same price for the same plan, but probably easier to sign up without the middleman.

Back
Top Bottom