Between the decision and the date?

The few remaining months between having made that decision and carrying it out make my motivation at work really low.

I haven't discussed the actual date with my partners but will do so in October or November.

How have other people maintained that motivation during those final months and weeks?

I'm struggling a little bit as well. I've set a date of 30 June 2013 for my retirement and let three partners with whom I am quite close know, but that is all at this stage.

The main motivations are professionalisim and wanting to do the right thing by by partners and other colleagues (in one case we have worked together for more than 20 years). Given the size of my firm, succession is something of a non-issue.

Like you I care about my clients (well, most of them) and an orderly pass over of outstanding matters will be arranged nearer the time. Once I leave the firm, I will not be able to actively work on any matters - local law society rules will kick in because I will not have a practising certificate, I will not be covered by insurance and some communications to me may no longer be legally priviledged. Sure, I'll respond to historical legacy type questions but have to be a little careful.

Good luck with your retirement.

Back
Top Bottom