Beware - Adobe Reader installs McAffe without asking

jim584672

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just a heads up.. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installs McAfee Security Scan Plus and McAfee Safe Connect without asking permission. They used to have a check box where you could uncheck it before install, now they just install it on you.

This malware install is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE, avoid Adobe!!!

Just a heads up.. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installs McAfee Security Scan Plus and McAfee Safe Connect without asking permission. They used to have a check box where you could uncheck it before install, now they just install it on you.

This malware install is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE, avoid Adobe!!!

I initially thought that maybe this was in the EULA (that very few people read), so I went to the install page and saw this... looks pretty obvious to me.

Attachments

• Adobe.jpg
    Adobe.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 54
When I did it I didn't get that page. I have done this in the past and have seen the check box page, not this time. Strange.

When I did it I didn't get that page. I have done this in the past and have seen the check box page, not this time. Strange.

Not sure what to think of that. These installations can be very, very sneaky. It amazes me that the McAfee name is still being used considering the namesakes extremely checked past.

This is what I see...

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2022-01-28 11-52-14.png
    Screenshot at 2022-01-28 11-52-14.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 57
Maybe you selected a "standard" install? I always try to select "custom" installs and read the pages very carefully to uncheck any boxes that opt me into sneakware installations.

This is not strictly an Adobe problem. I have seen other free software where they are making a buck from the sneakware vendors. Not exactly evil, but certainly annoying.

Maybe you selected a "standard" install? I always try to select "custom" installs and read the pages very carefully to uncheck any boxes that opt me into sneakware installations.

This is not strictly an Adobe problem. I have seen other free software where they are making a buck from the sneakware vendors. Not exactly evil, but certainly annoying.
I didn't pick the Pro, no warnings from them either. I do consider this evil, it is malware.

I figured it out, but it took a lot of wrangling and using another computer. When you first go to the install page, there is NO indication that it will install. HOWEVER, as soon as you click on the EULA agreement (terms and conditions that is hyperlinked), the page reloads with the one that I posted initially. I could not replicate this on my desktop no matter what I did...cleared cookies/cache, different browser...nothing.

So yes, this is a very sneaky way to do this. We all know that we should read the EULA, but very few people do.

I would try to create what you are saying to verify but I don't want to reinfect the machine and re-scrub it.

I would try to create what you are saying to verify but I don't want to reinfect the machine and re-scrub it.

I didn't actually do an install (I have a Pro version) but if you were on a "fresh" machine without it installed you would probably see what you saw initially.

For me no check boxes and the .exe downloads and will install when clicked.

Question - Why we’re you downloading Adobe? I installed Adobe Reader so I could read PDF files a long time ago. I’m wondering why you’re downloading it now. Was this a new computer - fresh install? Was this just the program doing a automatic update? Trying to figure out how/when I might run into this issue.

Question - Why we’re you downloading Adobe? I installed Adobe Reader so I could read PDF files a long time ago. I’m wondering why you’re downloading it now. Was this a new computer - fresh install? Was this just the program doing a automatic update? Trying to figure out how/when I might run into this issue.
It is a fresh Win10 machine running in a VM, clean install from the main Adobe site. I am creating a new fresh machine now to double check that I am not crazy. Will report back.

This time with a new machine it has check boxes and installs only the Reader.
So if you don't see check boxes assume it will install McAfee.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2022-01-28 12-57-37.png
    Screenshot at 2022-01-28 12-57-37.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 18
As an aside, Adobe Reader has long been known as "bloatware" due to all the extra, unnecessary stuff that rides along with it; stuff that's useless for most people. So I'd recommend installing it only if you actually need a specific feature that you can't get with other free PDF readers.

As an aside, Adobe Reader has long been known as "bloatware" due to all the extra, unnecessary stuff that rides along with it; stuff that's useless for most people. So I'd recommend installing it only if you actually need a specific feature that you can't get with other free PDF readers.
It was the reason I went with FoxIt Reader years ago. Great idea until v6 of their software when they started forcing their cloud (which you couldn't disable) and a lot of bloat. "A lot of bloat" seems to be standard with software these days.

I used to prefer the Adobe Reader, but in the last few years, it seems all the OS’s and/or browsers have added great support for PDF files. As mentioned above, I don’t want all those extra “features” bloating up Adobe Reader. I want to view PDFs and flexibly print them. You no longer need Reader to do that.

This is true. PDF is common. Why bother with Adobe crapware?

You can also get free programs to print to pdf format.
Who needs Adobe?
OK, I have the reader. Not sure where I got that, it's been years.

Back
Top Bottom