Bid to upgrade flights?

Depending on the itinerary, I've found the economy to business ratio can be insane (like 8x). In a wide body jet, you could buy 5 economy seats in a row in the middle section and lay flat there for less! In those cases, they probably don't sell-out their business class and so open up bidding.

These days, that would be a bargain indeed. We're committed to flying eco-plus from now on. It's a significant price increase - but worth it to us. Wish I could count on being offered such an upgrade.
The last flight I took was a 3 hour domestic flight. The upgrade to seats with about two inches more legroom was $79. And they offered free drinks, and boarding a bit earlier. Not worth it.

we where flying form Honolulu to Chicago overnight so we paid $700 for both of us to upgrade to Premium, upgrade to Business would be $2k. So I was skeptical if it was worth it and surprisingly it was the first time that I could sleep during flight and not being in Business. But in general we have been leaning to have more flight legs, that at least it will let us to walk at the airport and stretch if we could not get Business class, now Premium seems like viable option on large airplanes also.

About bidding, last year I flew twice on Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Detroit, first time put bid just $1 above minimum to upgrade to Business - no luck. Second time exactly at the middle of the range - no luck either.

With United, you can take your chance with trying to upgrade your seat after booking. The cost of an upgrade varies based on demand so if you keep monitoring the cost of seats, you might get lucky and snag a business class or premium economy seat at a reasonable cost.

I would not offer more than 50 bucks. The diff between Economy and Premium might not be much at Lufthansa.

With United, you can take your chance with trying to upgrade your seat after booking. The cost of an upgrade varies based on demand so if you keep monitoring the cost of seats, you might get lucky and snag a business class or premium economy seat at a reasonable cost.
I did this often until I started outright paying for first/business. For international, if I didn’t get a decent upgrade to business offer right after booking, I usually found a good upgrade offer later. Just checked occasionally.

I knew trying to use points for the upgrade (plus $500 back then) would never work because too many customers outranked me. And seating would be last available.

I do this with Delta with not so great results. I’ve only managed to upgrade to business once, otherwise the price has always been too high.

I’m paying for aisle seats because I want to be able to get up easily to use the bathroom. Last year going to Europe the plane wasn’t full and I had a row with 8 seats empty to lay down which was great.

We did not do a bid but several years ago we scored a fabulous deal on United flights to SIngapore. The SFO-Singapore leg was 17 hours.

Two weeks prior to blastoff United sent us a memo with an price offer to swith from economy to business lie down seats. We jumped. The price was about 1/4-1/3 of the price difference at our original time of booking.

We flew home from Morocco yesterday. 8 hour flight to NA, 3 hour layover, then a 4.5 hour flight to get home. Economy. Woke up last night with leg cramps. That is the end of our long hauls in economy seats.

We will do business from now on or Premium economy IF the difference is more than a measily 1 inch. You really need to check on Premium economy by airline to detertime if it is cost effective or simply a marketing ploy.

Last edited:
We will do business from now on or Premium economy IF the difference is more than a measily 1 inch. You really need to check on Premium economy by airline to detertime if it is cost effective or simply a marketing ploy.
I thought the difference was 4 inches - but I guess that may only be on United (since that is what they offer.) YMMV

We just took a trip and we did not book seats on 2 legs as no cheap ones were available.... got premium economy on the first flight... regular on the 2nd...

I do not see much advantage on the premium economy seats... they would have cost about $170 more each... the extra legroom was nice but not $170 worth nice... and when you price it out for 4 legs the cost is way too high for me...

We just took a trip and we did not book seats on 2 legs as no cheap ones were available.... got premium economy on the first flight... regular on the 2nd...

I do not see much advantage on the premium economy seats... they would have cost about $170 more each... the extra legroom was nice but not $170 worth nice... and when you price it out for 4 legs the cost is way too high for me...
I was surprised at how much the 4 inches of extra leg room was "worth" to me. I mentioned that we got to fly "plus" for free once and that was all it took to make us believers. We're all different, so the cost per inch is high but worth it to us (oh, and we DO get something called a "meal" for the extra and we DO get to take one carry on in addition to under-seat bag. Of course, I didn't see any enforcement of no carry on among the cheap seats, but YMMV. :cool:

I thought the difference was 4 inches - but I guess that may only be on United (since that is what they offer.) YMMV
Depending on the airline, the difference is much more than just legroom. For all the European airlines I have used Premium on, you get a much bigger and better seat: wider, better cushions, much more recline. On the wide-body planes there are typically 2 seats less per row than in Economy.

Yeah, I think
Depending on the airline, the difference is much more than just legroom. For all the European airlines I have used Premium on, you get a much bigger and better seat: wider, better cushions, much more recline. On the wide-body planes there are typically 2 seats less per row than in Economy.
Yeah, I think the seats ARE bigger as well. I know that I fit better in them, so...

I was on United and the seats were 3-3 in premium and regular economy... so no more width...

If they were wider I might look into it, especially if flying overseas... but since business is SOOO much more expensive I would think preferred economy is going to be at a real premium price...

I was on United and the seats were 3-3 in premium and regular economy... so no more width...

If they were wider I might look into it, especially if flying overseas... but since business is SOOO much more expensive I would think preferred economy is going to be at a real premium price...
On domestic U.S. flights, premium economy usually means extra legroom, priority check-in and boarding, and maybe a drink and a bit nicer meal. On long-haul flights, particularly long-haul international, you usually get a seat that's similar to domestic first class or even a bit nicer and usually better food.

We recently flew LHR to Seattle on a 787-10 and their premium economy looked very nice with 7 seats across compared to 9 in the back of the plane. On an AA 777-300 from Sydney to LAX, it was 8 seats across in premium economy compared to 10 in the back. Both planes had smallish premium economy sections with their own FA's, and bathrooms nearby.

United has two economy upgrade classes: Economy Plus, and Premium Economy. Plus just gets you a bit of extra legroom, whereas Premium gives you much more legroom and wider seats. I don't know if Premium is available on all flights, maybe it's only international.

I did this often until I started outright paying for first/business. For international, if I didn’t get a decent upgrade to business offer right after booking, I usually found a good upgrade offer later. Just checked occasionally.

I knew trying to use points for the upgrade (plus $500 back then) would never work because too many customers outranked me. And seating would be last available.
Much the same - starting from a few years ago, we only fly business class on intercontinental trips. We don't really travel all that much but when we do, we do like our comfort!

Another plus with more leg room is possibly reducing DVT (blood clot) risk.

I think I've figured it out.

I'M 3 inches thinner since I switched from United Economy to United Economy Plus. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom