Bifocals: Hold off as long as I can or just bit the bullet?

Bit of an outlier here. Nearsighted, have had glasses since age 10. In my forties I first noticed that is was getting difficult to read small print in dim light with my glasses on. I tried bifocals and could not get used to them. 61 now and I still just take my glasses off to read. In fact my nearsightedness has improved slightly. I get my eyes checked each year and I can still read the smallest near print without my glasses....can't read with my glasses. So I just use my glasses for distance only. First thing I do when I get home is take my glasses off...I have never been in the habit of wearing them in the house. I know the day will come when I need bifocals or progresses but it is not here yet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I got tired of looking for my readers when I needed them, even tho I had them tucked away everywhere and had my dr make me a pair that were clear glass on top and the reading prescription of the bottom. Over the years he's had to add strength to the top part. I now find it irritating when my friends scramble to find their readers and look everywhere holding up time for everyone else in the group.

The last time I went to see the optometrist about 2 years ago, she said I may want to start considering getting bifocals though I might be able hold off a bit longer. Over the last year, I'm occasionally struggle to focus reading on my phone close up, though all I do is flip my glasses up and problem solved.

Should I hold off another couple of years or just bite the bullet and get bifocals?
I'm turning 45 this year. When did you get bifocals?
Around 48, I think, I started wearing reading glasses with my contacts when I needed to read something close. By 50 or so I was wearing them most of the time.

I have a ton of them laying around. I buy them by the threes in Costco.

Mid-40s for me. I wear progressive with 2.25 on the bottom and plano on the top. That way I can leave them for viewing on for near and far.

Used +1.5 readers from about 50 until last year, 57. Needed +1.25 far correction plus the +1.5 for reading, took a year of messing around to get the right prescription: most ODs seem to think I want to read with the book about 8" from my face, I wanted about 15-18". Just got bifocals that meet my needs, and they make a world of difference. I tried progressives last year, but I missed my peripheral vision too much. Not really worried about how I look with bifocals; gray hair just sets that expectation... :D

Back
Top Bottom