Blow that Dough 2024

I thought of that but from my POV, it's just not the same. I have a couple of friends that have "bikes" and I may take a few short rides on theirs to see how I feel on two wheels these days. One thing for sure, if I'm going to do it, I need to buy one soon. In a few years it won't be a viable option.
I had several motorcycles when I lived back east (CT). But I still miss a nice Harley but at my age (80), No way Jose! I still have good balance (lucky, I guess), but a spill on one would not be a thing I wish to experience. And driving a bike around this area is crazy with the traffic and nut cases behind the wheel.

I lost a younger friend 5 years ago after he got back into bikes again. He was early 60's and bought a Yamaha (big machine size) and got cut off and dumped on I-45 one evening when traffic was heavy. He had internal injuries and bled out while in the hospital before they could save him.

I had several motorcycles when I lived back east (CT). But I still miss a nice Harley but at my age (80), No way Jose! I still have good balance (lucky, I guess), but a spill on one would not be a thing I wish to experience. And driving a bike around this area is crazy with the traffic and nut cases behind the wheel.

I lost a younger friend 5 years ago after he got back into bikes again. He was early 60's and bought a Yamaha (big machine size) and got cut off and dumped on I-45 one evening when traffic was heavy. He had internal injuries and bled out while in the hospital before they could save him.
There's no way I'd be riding in the Conroe/Woodlands area unless I develop a serious death wish. I agree, far to crowded and way to many nuts on the road in that area. As far south as I'd ride is maybe Huntsville.

There's no way I'd be riding in the Conroe/Woodlands area unless I develop a serious death wish. As far south as I'd ride is maybe Huntsville.
Haha....I hear you! My next door neighbor has two brand new Harleys. He and his wife go on a ride every Sunday, weather permitting. Of course, they are a young working couple. They head north and go to East Texas, places like Jasper, etc.,

Before I moved to Reno in 2015, I frequently had to drive from central Houston to Granbury, up I-45 (left 45 at 287 to go through Waxahatchee) to check on the Aged Parents and help with various issues.
I dreaded that stretch from Spring past Conroe, since I was usually driving out on Friday afternoons. I tried to leave work a couple hours early at 3 pm but even that sucked. I can't imagine riding a motorcycle in that hot mess. You would see a lot of motorcycles on 287, which I understand.
(We lived in Kingwood.)

Sounds familiar except I am a few years younger and have minor balance issues. I gave away 2 and sold 1 motorcycle about 3 years ago. I have enough medical issues already and the traffic is nuts here with speeding drivers that weave through traffic. I had my share of close calls and don't see a need to tempt fate.
My wife at 77 yrs still rides her CanAm trike occasionally but I am hoping she will sell within a year. I cringe during those times she rides it across town. The trouble is she is stubborn.

I've been catching up on the state of things in aviation and the bug has never let me go, it seems. The BTD opportunities are endless there.

Just booked a ski trip to Japan for this season! Incredible flights and a week in a posh Tokyo hotel before heading off for another week of skiing in Hakuba. Still looking for the right ryokan and guide for that part of the trip.

And yes, not only do we live in Colorado, we live near a ski resort. So, same activities we do at home but in a new location.

Last September we bought a new CRV Hybrid which I primarily drive. Two weeks ago my dear wife bought a 2024 Subaru CrossTrek that she really likes. Enough BTD for awhile. Oh wait we also picked up a new TempurPedic for ourselves with adjustable base and a queen set for the guest room to replace a futon that was used by her daughter when she came to visit. Finally a real bed for her :)

I fell down the rabbit hole at reddit, and have become ensnared in dreams of aviation again. I am eligible for basicmed, a program that allows for getting your health verified by any physician and not having to get an aviation medical certificate. The downside is no Canada or flying abroad, except for Mexico and the Bahamas etc.
No flight above 18000 feet or 250 knots. No more than 6 seats or 6000# gross weight. Not for hire.

Just booked a ski trip to Japan for this season! Incredible flights and a week in a posh Tokyo hotel before heading off for another week of skiing in Hakuba. Still looking for the right ryokan and guide for that part of the trip.

That’s awesome. This is high on my BTD list. Please keep us updated on the trip.

Recently had both cars professionally treated to a ceramic coating for a reasonable total cost of $2600. They are a 2019 and a 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe. They look better than when they left the showroom and now I don't have to wax ever again. Once they are gently washed or even just rinsed off and dried the paint shines and the black trims are black. This is supposed to have a 10 year warranty.

Not as big a BTD as some above, but just plunked down $3,500 for a Sleep Number bed. Arrives next week. I know they are over priced, but I have never met anyone with one that did not love it. So here goes.

Current bed is a 15 yo Verlo. DW still likes it, but it has been uncomfortable to me for several years.

Recently had both cars professionally treated to a ceramic coating for a reasonable total cost of $2600. This is supposed to have a 10 year warranty.
IMO, mine seem to have lasted about two years, as originally applied. Good luck.

That’s awesome. This is high on my BTD list. Please keep us updated on the trip.
Thanks! We've been wanting to go since watching a scene at a Warren Miller movie premier around a decade ago with Mosley and Takehiro floating through dwarf apple trees. The main issue has been timing, since we don't want to go halfway around the world to ski when conditions aren't primo.

Late-Feb seems to be the sweet spot.

Not as big a BTD as some above, but just plunked down $3,500 for a Sleep Number bed. Arrives next week. I know they are over priced, but I have never met anyone with one that did not love it. So here goes.

Current bed is a 15 yo Verlo. DW still likes it, but it has been uncomfortable to me for several years.
As long as you can get the parts the bed will never wear out. My chiropractor has one that’s 25 years old. When I got divorced 3 years ago he took the bed which was 17 years old. It needed a new pump once and the company mailed it fast and only charged us 74 because of the warranty. I bought myself one when I moved into my condo.

Earlier this year, I crashed on a mountain bike and broke my wrist. Ended up having surgery to insert a rod and screws in my arm, and will need a second surgery soon to remove all of the hardware. Luckily, I have insurance so the BTD on my wrist is under $5k. But that's not the subject of this post, it's just an explanation of a more expensive BTD. When I broke my wrist I was about 300 miles away from home, and had to drive back in a 91 Ford Ranger with a manual transmission. And everything about that truck fought me as I drove home. While I am keeping the Ranger (I love that truck), I did pull the trigger on a new truck. Not exactly sure why I bought it, as I have had it over a month now and have only driven it about 75 miles so far. I thought I would pay cash for it, but decided to finance at 2.9%, and believe that I can cash flow the payments at my current withdrawal rate of 2%. But can pay it off at any time if I want to.

Anyway, went with a Nissan Frontier SV, 4x4, crew cab long wheelbase with the 6 foot bed. Despite not driving it much so far, I do like this truck. And am glad I was able to get a nice color rather than the usual black, white, grey, or silver color that seems to be everywhere these days.

Attachments

• IMG_20240504_160615654~2.jpg
    IMG_20240504_160615654~2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 29
On a trip to upper MI, we twice rented a log cabin for 3 nights at >$400/night just because we enjoy them.

Thanks. The first coating was from the dealer that I couldn't do anything about. Cheap stuff that lasted 5 years. This coating (Xpel Fusion Plus) has to be professionally applied and has a 10 yr. warranty. He detailed the car, clay barred it, and applied 2 coats. We will see. At least I will not have to wax the car for a few years to keep it clean and glossy. In 10 years I may not be able to drive anyway.

I always enjoy this thread and maybe one of my favorites. I always see the joy in how you great people have used some of your wealth in things that are important to you. Thanks for sharing.

Well, not BTD yet but it could happen at some time. I made an offer for some more irrigated land that borders my ranch.

Maybe this excitement about BTD is permature but am very excited about this purchase if it happens.
Today I got a text from the guy that I want to purchase some land from. He lives about 7 hours away from me and we talk or text about 5 times a year. He sent me some pictures of the snow he received at his mountain home. He also said he will call and talk ovah the land offer I made to him. I'm hoping it will go through and things work out for me to add some more irrigated land. My objective now is to pass it down to my son and his family and for my only granddaughter to end up with it. Never to sell there will be money left to pay taxes for a lifetime.

So, my hopes are to blow that dough.

Back
Top Bottom