Bluebird Debit Card

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
This was briefly mentioned in this 3 day thread.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/warn-the-young-ones-64800.html
I have signed up online, and am awaiting the account cards... free on line, but offered as a "starter kit" at Walmart, for $5.

I would be interested in any feedback from those who have used this (newer) debit card.

It looks to be almost foolproof...
Offered by Walmart and American Express, no fees... can load card from your bank online, at Walmart, or Amex ATM's for free. Usable wherever American Express is offered. Can use "sub-account" cards, limiting the withdrawal amounts and frequency. I like the idea of this, as a safety cushion for kids, or to keep in the car... just in case..

The only downside that I see, is the limitation of acceptance of Amex cards. My guess is that this will eventually change as this card takes off.

Do you see any problems?

I've been using it for a week. BB is not a bank, and is not insured by FDIC. Therefore, they don't accept payments from the federal government. I've been using it to cash in Vanilla re-load cards and make a nice little profit of several hundred dollars. I've only had it for about a week, but it works as advertised. Made a payment to one of my credit cards, no issues noted. For everyday spending, I don't recommend it because it is essentially a debit card, so you don't have anything even close to the protection that a credit card offers.

edit - this is the last thing I would ever leave in the car! What if it gets stolen?

Last edited:
OMG... living in a cave, people like me don't know about vanilla reloads.
No wonder I'm poor. :facepalm:

Not sure why I would use it over a regular checking account/debit card or CC. I guess some problems would be it's not FDIC insured, earns no interest on deposits, there is $2 AMEX network fee for ATMs unless you deposit your paycheck ( which I don't have ).

I've been using it for a week. BB is not a bank, and is not insured by FDIC. Therefore, they don't accept payments from the federal government. I've been using it to cash in Vanilla re-load cards and make a nice little profit of several hundred dollars. I've only had it for about a week, but it works as advertised. Made a payment to one of my credit cards, no issues noted.

The credit card you used to by the Vanilla reload cards, no doubt. :)

Dire Straits had it right...
Now look at them yo-yos thats the way you do it
You play the guitar on the mtv
That aint workin thats the way you do it
Money for nothin and chicks for free

There's a proliferation of these cards on the market. Bluebird is just one of them.

They appeal to the individual who has bounced so many checks, and defaulted on so many credit accounts, that no mainstream institution is going to let them near anything with a magnetic strip on it. The prepaid card fills that market. It's the only way some people have access to anything resembling a bank account or credit card. And they're willing to put up with the high fees.

They appeal to the individual who has bounced so many checks, and defaulted on so many credit accounts, that no mainstream institution is going to let them near anything with a magnetic strip on it.

Exactly. And I didn't know (until one of my tenants declared bankruptcy) that you cannot get a checking account after you've declared bankruptcy. Money orders are about the only way they have to pay their bills. This card, and others like it, gives them some options.

My eyes have been opened regarding how lucky I am.

I've been using it for a week. BB is not a bank, and is not insured by FDIC. Therefore, they don't accept payments from the federal government. I've been using it to cash in Vanilla re-load cards and make a nice little profit of several hundred dollars. I've only had it for about a week, but it works as advertised. Made a payment to one of my credit cards, no issues noted. For everyday spending, I don't recommend it because it is essentially a debit card, so you don't have anything even close to the protection that a credit card offers.

edit - this is the last thing I would ever leave in the car! What if it gets stolen?

where are you getting the reloads?! I can't find anyone who will take a CC to buy them!

There's a proliferation of these cards on the market. Bluebird is just one of them.

They appeal to the individual who has bounced so many checks, and defaulted on so many credit accounts, that no mainstream institution is going to let them near anything with a magnetic strip on it. The prepaid card fills that market. It's the only way some people have access to anything resembling a bank account or credit card. And they're willing to put up with the high fees.

and travel/point/cash back hackers.

where are you getting the reloads?! I can't find anyone who will take a CC to buy them!
Charlie
Victor
Sierra

Intersting point above about the bankrupt tenant. These accounts are being pushed via Wal-Mart, which makes sense for those who can't write a check, but still need a method to send a payment.

Charlie
Victor
Sierra

Intersting point above about the bankrupt tenant. These accounts are being pushed via Wal-Mart, which makes sense for those who can't write a check, but still need a method to send a payment.

Roger that. Too bad I have none in my state :(

One blog I read mentioned it was odd that was AMEX since AMEX probably is not accepted where most of these folks would shop.

Back
Top Bottom