Build Back Better Bill health care provisions

EastWest Gal

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know this bill has not yet passed the Senate, but it has some health care provisions that affect the ACA and Medicare, the may affects some folks in the E-R forum.

Regarding the ACA, it extends the 8.5% cap on premiums through 2025.

Regarding Medicare, it has a provision to cap annual out of pocket drug expenses for Medicare recipients. It also directs HHS to negotiate a limited number of drug prices, starting in 2025. It caps the price of insulin at $35/month for Medicare recipients. Also hearing benefits will start in 2023.

We’ll have to see what happens with this in the next few weeks.

I know this bill has not yet passed the Senate, but it has some health care provisions that affect the ACA and Medicare, the may affects some folks in the E-R forum.

Regarding the ACA, it extends the 8.5% cap on premiums through 2025.

Regarding Medicare, it has a provision to cap annual out of pocket drug expenses for Medicare recipients. It also directs HHS to negotiate a limited number of drug prices, starting in 2025. It caps the price of insulin at $35/month for Medicare recipients. Also hearing benefits will start in 2023.

We’ll have to see what happens with this in the next few weeks.
Do you know if the ACA cliff is suspended until 2025 as well?

It's pointless to discuss things like this until they fully pass.

I realize it's still a moving target but some of us are still interested in tracking the details as things progress. A girl can dream, no?

One girl's dream is another girl's nightmare. If it passes, expect even higher inflation rate. Good luck.

That's the idea, the 8.5% rule for 2021 and 2022 effectively removes the cliff and puts you on a slope instead, if your MAGI goes over 4 X FPL, you follow the 8.5% rule instead. This bill would extend that.

I think the cliff was too hard to defend to the constituent that just missed it. So my prediction is whether this bill passes or not, something similar will eventually pass and the cliff will never be seen again. Senate procedures make it easier to pass a series of short term fixes rather than a permanent change though, so planning will never be easy.

Since your actual costs will be dependent on the benchmark Silver plan available in your area, may be the best way to get an accurate number is through the Healthcare.gov website.

That cap eliminates the cliff. It is the same as in the relief bill passed early this year.

The cliff never made much sense. One dollar less and you pay very low premium rates. One dollar more and 30% of your income goes to health insurance premiums.

As I said, we shall see.

That concept implies we should just let our congress-critters act without any input from their constituents. Giving input to them is the basis for our form of government. I think discussions here are invaluable to me as I may not think about some effects without some external stimulation from honest discussion. Discussion helps me form my own opinions.

Just my thoughts.

Mod Note:

To allow this conversation to continue, please stick to the health care provisions discussions as they relate to ER...only. Discussion on political machinations and the rest, is a fast way to get a thread closed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom