Building a dividend portfolio

I haven't seen anyone suggest they "day traded" a dividend portfolio, or did frequent selling... it is becoming apparent to me I could take my $1200-4200/year, invest it in a single stock once per year, then let it ride. The next year purchase a different security, and continue in that fashion.

I saw some references to Wellstrade (never heard of them)- anyone care to explain (I will look up after this post).

I have used DRIPs through sharebuilder before. Any care to explain how they set up DRIPs directly?

Fifteen year overnight success - Moneypaper for the first share starting around ?1989? with some electric utilities, water utilities, banks peaked at about 44 different companies. Subscribed to Moneypaper - bought the first share for $15 or $20 commision and then wrote and enrolled - note that each plan is different - some are pretty stiff on fees - others have direct enrollmeent for free.

I note that half my holdings are not the same company - my Mobil is now Exxon mobile and a lot get bought out in the stretch - just got a check for New Plan Excell(a REIT) - some Aussies bought them.

Now in my old age (63) slowing and closing them out and transferring to my Vanguard Broker - taxes and time permitting.

I pretty much stuck with Moneypaper and Mergent's Handbook(was Moody's at first) during my active period.

Worked well for me in the 90's - dividends are more popular again so the going may be a little more chewy this decade.

heh heh heh

jIMOh said:
I have used DRIPs through sharebuilder before. Any care to explain how they set up DRIPs directly?
http://www.dripinvesting.org/Firstshare/Firstshare.htm

some of this is outdated but agree with UM...moneypaper might be the way to go....they have x2 monthly stock specials that you can get the 1st share for 15 bucks....JNJ, MMM, and several others come up. Also, M. Siebert doesnt charge for issuing stock certs in your name...just would cost the 10-15 buck commission....once you have that you can send the cert into the transfer agent and enroll in the drip......If you go the investor relations section of a company that you are interested in, you can see what the requirements are....some can be purchased directly....

jIMOh said:
I haven't seen anyone suggest they "day traded" a dividend portfolio, or did frequent selling... it is becoming apparent to me I could take my $1200-4200/year, invest it in a single stock once per year, then let it ride. The next year purchase a different security, and continue in that fashion.

I saw some references to Wellstrade (never heard of them)- anyone care to explain (I will look up after this post).

As I said in an earlier post, I think buying a stock or two (if you have 4K to invest) a year is fine strategy.

If your broker offers Dividend re-investment plans I think you are better off using them to reinvest dividends, than opening a direct DRIPs, because there are a lot of small fees associated with DRIP plans.
You can check out CompuShare https://www-us.computershare.com/investor/plans/planslist.asp?bhjs=0&fla=0&stype=ocp who is one of the largest provider of direct DRIP plans, to get an idea of fees.

Although there are some companies that actually provide a small 2-5% discount on the share price of shares purchased through dividend reinvestment, in those rare cases in may make sense to set up a direct account. Generally the company will give you information on how to do it.
For example here is one for Capital Source http://investor.capitalsource.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=114643&p=irol-drip

Back
Top Bottom