buy more ibonds

livingalmostlarge

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm debating buying myself and DH $10k each in ibonds for next january. I currently have $70k years 2018-2024 each in an I bond ladder. Just something to add to our savings for the future fire.

Do you think it's stupid to be continually funding these ibonds? Right now I think we've hit our number but we are going to work until 2030 and DK2 launches.

If it matters we don't hold a ton of cash outside of the ibond ladder. That's sort of our EF that keeps on building. We have a 3 month slush fund and the rest of our money is invested in stocks/ETFs also pretty simply and aggressively invested.

Glad this thread popped up, reminded me to download the 1099 Int for my 2023 taxes since the govt doesn't send out.

I'm not a financial whiz-kid, but I always felt I Bonds were a great long term cash cushion. Smarter people will chime in, but my layman opinion is you could do a lot worse than buying more I Bonds. So for whatever it may be worth, you have my agreement with your plan to buy more I Bonds.

Last edited:
Coincidentally I was thinking of iBonds, and what to do going forward.

One thought was to add beneficiaries to certain ones I own.

We have 40k worth of Ibonds. They are still making like 3.5%, so I leave them alone and consider it my emergency reserve if I need to reroof the house or something.

We picked up another year’s worth last month to capture the higher than usual fixed rate. That’s probably it for us - have enough and getting older. We already own quite a bit and have weeded out (redeemed) all the lowest yielding ones.

Back
Top Bottom