Buying the dip or….

Question for some of you buying the dip for very short term gains/losses, what percentage of your portfolio are you committing to this?

My guess is it is a very low percentage and amounts to a low incremental gain or loss.

Yes, the short term gain is small with respect to the whole stash, but the satisfaction is very real. :)

Question for some of you buying the dip for very short term gains/losses, what percentage of your portfolio are you committing to this?

My guess is it is a very low percentage and amounts to a low incremental gain or loss.

When I bought at a dip (like in 2008) it was a very small percentage - perhaps 2% max. I doubt if it made much of a difference other than giving me some bragging rights.

However, toss in all the dip buying I automatically did when dollar cost averaging into the market over 30+ years and I suppose it probably did make a significant difference.

Depends if the helicopter is going to drop money again. That changes everything.

The Fed is strongly signaling the opposite- that they will start taking the punch bowl away soon, which is what started the tech sell off and rising interest rates.

As of Friday I was only off 2% from my allocation, and I want to be 5% off to do any rebalancing, so I’ll be waiting.

Last edited:
When I bought at a dip (like in 2008) it was a very small percentage - perhaps 2% max. I doubt if it made much of a difference other than giving me some bragging rights.

However, toss in all the dip buying I automatically did when dollar cost averaging into the market over 30+ years and I suppose it probably did make a significant difference.

My biggest buy on the dip was coming out of the 2009 disaster in June 2009. But that was a rebalance and after a trend up. Not really a dip buy.

Maybe 20% but in my case my short term gains covered my 2021 base living expenses. But 2021 was easy. So far 2022 has been great too but I realize I've been pretty lucky, so far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom