call from health insurance about colon cancer screening

Positive on the Cologuard test & so had the real thing a few weeks later last year.

Couple of polyps...one large enough that I come back in 3 years, no cancer.

I did need Zofran pushed into my IV after waking up.

No out of pocket expense on employer health insurance (through spouse) for either.

I'm on a 5 year plan. Doctor told me colon cancer is the most preventable type of cancer because it tends to grow very slowly and detection is very effective with a scope. I trust his word. Get it done and check one more worry off your list.

I was 42 when I had a sigmoidoscopy on Tuesday and my doc said he would like to do a whole colonoscopy. I said, "When?" He said, "Friday."
He found a large polyp that had to be cut in half to get it out of me. He was 90% sure the cancer was fully contained in the polyp. I asked how to be 100% sure...and we scheduled a colon resection to remove part of my colon above and below the polyp. I was clean.
After that, I found out about the number of my male relatives who died of colon cancer in my family. I was lucky. No chemo...no radiation...that was 32 years ago.

I was 42 when I had a sigmoidoscopy on Tuesday and my doc said he would like to do a whole colonoscopy. I said, "When?" He said, "Friday."
He found a large polyp that had to be cut in half to get it out of me. He was 90% sure the cancer was fully contained in the polyp. I asked how to be 100% sure...and we scheduled a colon resection to remove part of my colon above and below the polyp. I was clean.
After that, I found out about the number of my male relatives who died of colon cancer in my family. I was lucky. No chemo...no radiation...that was 32 years ago.
What a great story and outcome. Thanks for sharing. Colon cancer is quite insidious. Early detection is worth the hassles of colonoscopy.

Colon cancer kills a heck of a lot of people, so I didn't want to ignore the risk but also didn't want to undergo the prep and invasiveness of a colonoscopy, so I did the Cologuard test. Super-easy, the instructions were clear and simple, then I dropped it off at the local UPS store or could have scheduled a pick-up. They e-mailed results back within a week. Couldn't be simpler, easier or less invasive.

I’ve had 2 colonoscopies in the past 20 years. The last one 2 years ago found 5 polyps but none were the type that cause cancer. 40% of polyps are cancerous. I’m trying to balance that with the issue of possibly getting a perforated colon as your tissue thins with age. Most people don’t survive if that happens.

They want me to get another one next year at age 70. I might do one more before age 75 but haven’t decided. If you have hemorrhoids you can’t do the mail in testing as they look for blood in your stool and hemorrhoids bleed sometimes.

I’ve had 2 colonoscopies in the past 20 years. The last one 2 years ago found 5 polyps but none were the type that cause cancer. 40% of polyps are cancerous. I’m trying to balance that with the issue of possibly getting a perforated colon as your tissue thins with age. Most people don’t survive if that happens.
I know- that's a concern for me, too. I'm 71 and due next year. I'll probably go for it and ask the doc what he thinks about the vulnerability of my intestinal walls and how that might affect future testing. Will also check and see if Medicare covers beyond a certain age. I think I've seen postings in retirement-related posts on FB that they may not because the risks outweigh the benefits. If I get to a point where they're too risky I still plan to do the at-home test and maybe Cologuard to see if there are indications of serious issues.

Colon cancer kills a heck of a lot of people, so I didn't want to ignore the risk but also didn't want to undergo the prep and invasiveness of a colonoscopy, so I did the Cologuard test. Super-easy, the instructions were clear and simple, then I dropped it off at the local UPS store or could have scheduled a pick-up. They e-mailed results back within a week. Couldn't be simpler, easier or less invasive.
I actually had an "issue" with getting my results a little over a year ago. IIRC I had to sign into a site similar to "My Chart" or one of the clinic-type communication hubs. I had to relay my results to my doctor. Not sure if I was somehow at fault in this or if there was a glitch.

My concern with Cologuard is that it (apparently) doesn't detect that one has polyps (I had 10 adenomas removed a year after Cologuard said I was at least risk for colon cancer.) YMMV

My concern with Cologuard is that it (apparently) doesn't detect that one has polyps (I had 10 adenomas removed a year after Cologuard said I was at least risk for colon cancer.) YMMV
Thanks- good to know. I had read that it wasn't recommended for people with a history of polyps but thought it might be a good screening tool for me if a colonoscopy was too risky. Maybe not. And it still requires the same prep as a colonoscopy.

Thanks- good to know. I had read that it wasn't recommended for people with a history of polyps but thought it might be a good screening tool for me if a colonoscopy was too risky. Maybe not. And it still requires the same prep as a colonoscopy.
Yeah, what was strange in my situation was that I started Colonoscopies at 50 and after my 3rd one, PCP and I decided I didn't need any more but PCP would have me do occult blood samples each year. THAT's when I asked for Cologuard instead of occult blood. Results were "fine" so I figured I was good for life (age 76.) BUT PCP still insisted on occult blood which then sent me for colonoscopy to find my very first (10) polyps. SO, point is, colonoscopy is STILL the gold standard. I don't know enough and am not a doctor, but MY unprofessional suggestion would be to skip Cologuard and go for the gold - but YMMV.

I don't know enough and am not a doctor, but MY unprofessional suggestion would be to skip Cologuard and go for the gold - but YMMV.
I'm going to keep having them as long as the doc thinks the benefits outweigh the risks. If Medicare no longer pays I'm likely to pay OOP. One of the little luxuries I can afford thanks to over-saving for retirement. :)

Cologuard catches bleeding from a polyp but has no way to catch where in the colon it - and others - exist. So as Koolau said, just go for the colonoscopy. The prep is the worst part of the whole deal.

Cologuard does detect non-bleeding polyps, not just cancer. I have been having Cologuard every 3 years, and so has my husband. Personal close friends and parents have died or nearly died from perforated colon from colonoscopy, so we don't want to have one unless we feel that it is necessary.

I promised myself that I would have one colonoscopy done in my 60s, so I had it done last month. I had a sigmoidoscopy done when I was 45 and the prep was extremely stressful then, but the new prep has gotten much easier. Anyway, I didn't have any polyps and was asked to come back in 10 years.

My husband who was more adament than me that he would never want to have a colonoscopy unless Cologuard came back positive. Well, Cologuard came back positive for him a couple of months ago. At 76, he was quite worried about perforation due to close friends having died or nearly died from it. After much discussion with our GI doctor, he had his colonoscopy done on the same morning as mine. He had 7 polyps, none cancerous and was told to come back for another one in 5 years. We had a long discussion, and agreed that it depends on his health then - he is very robust and healthy right now, whether he has symptoms and what Cologuard test comes back with then. At 81, if he is just as healthy/robust as now and Cologuard comes back as positive, he will have another colonscopy, otherwise he will not.

For me, I am likely to be done with colonoscopy unless Cologuard tells me otherwise in several years' time.

Last edited:
We simply follow the advice of our respective physicians.

Personal close friends and parents have died or nearly died from perforated colon from colonoscopy, so we don't want to have one unless we feel that it is necessary.

At 76, he was quite worried about perforation due to close friends having died or nearly died from it.
I did a quick search because of your post AND because I'm getting a colonoscopy in three weeks. :facepalm:

I found this site: Adverse events related to colonoscopy: Global trends and future challenges - which places the risk as high as about 0.085%.
"The perforation rate, as reported in large studies (≥ 50,000 colonoscopies) published since 2000, ranges from 0.005-0.085%." That's a big range.

So take "worst case" of .85 incidents per 1000 or 8.5 incidents per 10,000. I am surprised at the spread in the study and why the incidence would not be more consistent. BUT, even at worst, it's a lot better odds than NOT detecting colon cancer. By the time you have symptoms of colon cancer, survival rate is rather low.

Compared to the risk of Colon cancer, I'll take my chances though I understand the potential danger of Colonoscopy. Clearly, YMMV.

I did a quick search because of your post AND because I'm getting a colonoscopy in three weeks. :facepalm:

I found this site: Adverse events related to colonoscopy: Global trends and future challenges - which places the risk as high as about 0.085%.
"The perforation rate, as reported in large studies (≥ 50,000 colonoscopies) published since 2000, ranges from 0.005-0.085%." That's a big range.

So take "worst case" of .85 incidents per 1000 or 8.5 incidents per 10,000. I am surprised at the spread in the study and why the incidence would not be more consistent. BUT, even at worst, it's a lot better odds than NOT detecting colon cancer. By the time you have symptoms of colon cancer, survival rate is rather low.

Compared to the risk of Colon cancer, I'll take my chances though I understand the potential danger of Colonoscopy. Clearly, YMMV.
Hence Cologuard tests for people with normal risks, i.e. no relatives having colon cancer, no prior polyps and no symptoms. Cologuard doesn't only catch those with colon cancer, but also non-bleeding and non-cancerous polyps.

Hence Cologuard tests for people with normal risks, i.e. no relatives having colon cancer, no prior polyps and no symptoms. Cologuard doesn't only catch those with colon cancer, but also non-bleeding and non-cancerous polyps.
Cologuard missed my 10 non-bleeding and non-cancerous polyps. YMMV

In my husband's case, it came back positive and hence he had a colonoscopy and found to have 7 non-cancerous polyps.
So glad it w*rked for your DH.

I was ready to "quit" because of my Cologuard results but PCP said "no." DO the occult blood. Glad I did. YMMV

Heh, heh, wish me luck on my upcoming colonoscopy one year post removal of 10 adenomas. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom