Can I roll stocks into my fidelity brokerage

Stwicky

Dryer sheet aficionado
I own some GE, AAPL, and PG stock. In an effort to streamline my number of accounts, I would like to roll these assets into my Fidelity brokerage account.

Of course I want this to be a non-taxable event. Do I simply complete the transfer request on the Fidelity website? Are there tax pitfalls with this?

I've consolidated/transferred small brokerage accounts, stocks & mutual funds from other companies to Fidelity over the years with no problems.

Shouldn't be considered a taxable event. Give them a call just to make sure.

Last edited:
Fidelity is fantastic at transferring in even complicated assets. I inherited and moved a nightmare from Wells Fargo into Fidelity. No problem and by pulling the assets with Fidelity, no fees! Oh, and if the investment isn't available at Fidelity, they can instruct you on how to distribute it when transferred. I took a nightmare 50 security inheritance, including unbelievable commissioned investments only available to "commercial financial advisors", into a reasonable AA online with very little work.

Not sure where your assets now exist, but call your Fidelity Rep. or start at:

https://www.fidelity.com/customer-service/money-movement

Scroll to the bottom of the that website.

Last edited:
I second the sentiment that fidelity is great at transferring things. Call or chat then and they will send you the right forms. Electrically send forms back (even if they say to send by mail) through their secure portal. Easy.

Dont make the same mistake I did. I sold assets in an ira to move them to another provider (wanted to move the cash and not the shares). Then the day they cut the check a dividend hit. So I had to fill out all the paperwork again. Doh!

I would call them. I think they have streamlined the transfer process to make it easier to do it online. It depends a bit on where the funds are coming from. The first time i did it I had to sign but recently I did it all online. Obviously you want an in-kind transfer and make sure you document your basis before the transfer. Fidelity makes it easy.

I can't recall the exact situation, and it didn't involve Fidelity (it was Vanguard), but when I transferred stock from one broker to another, they did have to "sell" any fractional shares, which was a taxable event in the originating account (I think). Then the remaining whole shares transferred over. You might ask about this or at least be prepared that it might happen.

I own some GE, AAPL, and PG stock. In an effort to streamline my number of accounts, I would like to roll these assets into my Fidelity brokerage account.

Of course I want this to be a non-taxable event. Do I simply complete the transfer request on the Fidelity website? Are there tax pitfalls with this?

Is the GE, AAPL and PG in a taxable account at a brokerage? With whom?

Is your Fidelity brokerage account at taxable/regular brokerage account and not a traditional IRA account or Roth IRA account?

If both are taxable brokerage accounts, then what you want is an "in-kind" transfer.

Yeah, I rolled my megacorp stock from ML to Vanguard brokerage. No taxable event though YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom