Can My Son Use My Turbo Tax disk on His PC?

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've got the disk for Turbo Tax Deluxe for 2021 taxes. I've never used Turbo Tax; I recently came to it after years and years of using H&R Block.

I'm going to do my taxes this weekend. Once I load the Turbo Tax program onto my PC and get the updates downloaded, do I need the disk anymore?

If not, can I give the disk to my son so he can use it to do his taxes?

You can do 5 federal returns per turbotax purchase so yes, he should be able to use your disc.

I understand about the 5 e-file limit. I guess the question really is: "Does Turbo Tax limit the installation of their software to one PC?"

Almost all commercial software is sold under a license agreement, wherein you (the purchaser) actually buy a license to use the software, regardless of whether it's on a physical disc or you downloaded it, etc. The license agreement specifies whether you can share the software with others. Typically, sharing isn't allowed. You'd have to read the actual verbiage of the Turbo Tax license agreement. Of course, you could always just ignore it and allow your son to install the software on his PC, as well. There is probably no mechanism within the software to prevent that.

I install it on my computer then give it to my daughter to install on hers with no issues.
I never register the product when they ask me to and I'm pretty sure she does not either. The free state download works on both machines and she gets the free Federal e-file as well.

But the verbiage specifically says "you may only: (i) install and use a copy of the Software on up to five (5) computers owned by you (at home or at work)". So technically, it's a violation of the license agreement to give the software to someone outside your home to install on a computer you don't own.

I’m guessing that he bought the computer for his son. So, technically, he can call it a computer he owns. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

Seriously though, I see no difference in that versus what I do - my DD comes over and pity’s her data in and files her taxes.

I bet probably based on the access code that came with the CD (or download?). If installed more than 5 different PC's, then declined?

I get the free Premier download from Fidelity. My daughter comes over here and does her taxes on my desktop. My son used to do that as well. But now he likes to install it on his own laptop. So every year, I send him my Intuit credentials. He logs in and downloads the software. At some point, Intuit sends a 2FA code to my email, which I then text back to him so he can continue and activate the software. Been doing this for about 3 years now with no issue.

And yes, I own his laptop. :)

I’m guessing that he bought the computer for his son. So, technically, he can call it a computer he owns. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

Seriously though, I see no difference in that versus what I do - my DD comes over and pity’s her data in and files her taxes.

Typo I guess, but seems fitting. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom