Can Vanguard update Emigrant Direct balances?

free4now

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have linked all my financial accounts into my vanguard account, so that I can see my complete net worth on one page. The problem I'm having is that because Emigrant Direct requires additional credentials (e.g. birthdate, SS#), the vanguard system always says it can't refresh the Emigrant account balance.

The only workaround I've found is to delete and recreate the Emigrant account from the vanguard page. At that time vanguard will ask me for the birthdate or SS# or whatever it needs. But once the account is set up vanguard just hangs when I try to refresh, instead of asking for the additional credentials.

Has anyone found a way to view their Emigrant Direct balances from within vanguard? I wouldn't mind having to manually enter my Emigrant credentials each time, but even if I set the account to manual refresh, vanguard doesn't ask me.

Uh, why do you even have an account at Emigrant? You should be using the Vanguard MM fund which has always had a higher interest rate than ED. In other words, this tiny bit of aggravation is costing you money. Switch now to make more money and get rid of this aggravation.

Uh, why do you even have an account at Emigrant? You should be using the Vanguard MM fund which has always had a higher interest rate than ED. In other words, this tiny bit of aggravation is costing you money. Switch now to make more money and get rid of this aggravation.

Just one small difference. Vanguard's MMs aren't 100% insured and currently the Prime MM is only 23 basis points higher.

Stupid question perhaps, but how do I start the MM account? Don't you usually get checks with a MM account? And do they still require a minimum amount in there like they do with mutual funds?

Stupid question perhaps, but how do I start the MM account? Don't you usually get checks with a MM account? And do they still require a minimum amount in there like they do with mutual funds?

I just put by money in the Vanguard Prime MM. I didn't receive checks (and don't really want them). They do require a minimum of 3k.

Go to your Vanguard online account and click on "Buy". You can then follow the instructions. If you have questions, call their 800 number. Yes, they do require a minimum to open: $3000.

I usually purchase like ACH transfer just like one would do with EmigrantDirect, but you can also mail in a check or do a wire transfer.

Back
Top Bottom