Can you identify this mystery tool?

pdxgal

Recycles dryer sheets
I think it may be a vintage automotive oil filter wrench, but not sure. The ring measures 2 3/4" diameter when arms are open, 2 1/2" when arms are squeezed together.

I thought it might be used for canning jars or lids, but appears too small for that.

Attachments

• P1010706.JPG
    P1010706.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 120
Not sure what it is, but my guess is that it’s not a oil filter wrench. To me, it looks like the business end of the tool are the prongs at the other end, not the ring. That appears only to be a spring to open the other end.

Not sure what it is, but my guess is that it’s not a oil filter wrench. To me, it looks like the business end of the tool are the prongs at the other end, not the ring. That appears only to be a spring to open the other end.
I agree. Almost looks like an internal snap ring tool of sorts.

Confirmed by Google Lens (image search). Antique can opener (canning can).

Ahh, thanks! Will have to remember to try Google Lens next time.:facepalm: It doesn't fit my modern day canning jars or lids, so I had some doubts. Mystery solved, thanks to ER!

Ahh, thanks! Will have to remember to try Google Lens next time.:facepalm: It doesn't fit my modern day canning jars or lids, so I had some doubts. Mystery solved, thanks to ER!

Do you favor the wide mouth lids? That one is probably for the regular size lids (2-3/8" dia.), not the wide mouth lids (3" dia.).

Or a big canning jar lid remover, or both.
I see I was eaten to the solution.

Its a strap wrench of some sort…. Seems too small for an auto oil filter.

My first thought was the image in the OP looks like a tool my dentist uses …

I think it may be a vintage automotive oil filter wrench, but not sure. The ring measures 2 3/4" diameter when arms are open, 2 1/2" when arms are squeezed together.

I thought it might be used for canning jars or lids, but appears too small for that.
that's an oil filter wrench.

:D
It's an old timey canning lid tool that MacGyver used to remove oil filter and construct blasting device to escape from a garage.

It's whatever it works on. Just like many other tools, e.g. a screwdriver does a lot of things other than "driving" screws". Drives screws, undrives screws, punches holes, acts as a pry bar, scrapes paint/caulk/etc, used as a weapon, etc, etc

Actually, oil filter wrench might not have been a good guess. Didn’t the old oil filters used to be a canister with a bolt going through the middle of it to secure it to the engine?

Actually, oil filter wrench might not have been a good guess. Didn’t the old oil filters used to be a canister with a bolt going through the middle of it to secure it to the engine?
Many (well some) still are today... e.g. Toyota Tundras still use a canister with a filter inside... Like so many things, a real PIA to change unless you have the right tools...

Last edited:
I would have guessed a compressing tool for piston rings upon insertion into a block. Apparently not so YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom