Can't File Federal Tax Return yet

I just hope that when the Form 8606 I need is available and I efile my return I don't find that someone has already filed a return using my SS number. I am really stressed about this identity theft thing. I have had to spend MANY hours working on the Social Security identity theft and it is still not fixed.

Is it possible for you to file an intentionally somewhat "phony/incomplete" return, with the plan to file an update/revision when you can get the forms you need?

I'd use $ numbers that don't provide a higher than expected refund, so it doen't get complicated. Since you don't need to pay before 4/15, you'd have time to 'fix' any payment amount.

-ERD50

Is it possible for you to file an intentionally somewhat "phony/incomplete" return, with the plan to file an update/revision when you can get the forms you need?

I'd use $ numbers that don't provide a higher than expected refund, so it doesn't get complicated. Since you don't need to pay before 4/15, you'd have time to 'fix' any payment amount.-ERD50

The problem with that, as I have experienced, is that the IRS matches the 1099's against your return. And, if in the time between you get you correct data, and the IRS does, it may trigger an IRS letter.
Also, when you sign your return you attest it to be correct.

If the IRS is so diligent matching 1099s against your return, how is it that so many fraudulent returns are being successfully filed? I was told that on the fraudulent returns filed by the crooks they are just plugging in fake numbers and successfully getting refunds.

If the IRS is so diligent matching 1099s against your return, how is it that so many fraudulent returns are being successfully filed? I was told that on the fraudulent returns filed by the crooks they are just plugging in fake numbers and successfully getting refunds.

Right, as I understand it, they don't have this other info, the put in fake numbers to create a large refund that they can grab.

The problem with that, as I have experienced, is that the IRS matches the 1099's against your return. And, if in the time between you get you correct data, and the IRS does, it may trigger an IRS letter.
Also, when you sign your return you attest it to be correct.

Yes, probably best not to mess with that...

-ERD50

They have stepped up the verification over the past couple of years. Especially requiring employers to submit payroll data earlier so W2 info can be verified. And slowing down refunds a bit. A lot more scrutiny today. Still not foolproof, obviously, but not as easy for the fraudsters.

I already filed and have an approved refund and I didn't have the 1099 from Schwab. I just used the numbers from my statements, did the same thing last year and no problems with IRS.

I just e-filed a couple days ago for the (final) return on the trust from my mom's estate which closed out last December. It was very simple, though. All I had was one 1099-R, one 1099-INT, and just distributed the balance four ways and closed it out. Not sure if they were accepting 1041s before some 1040s, though.

Fidelity finally created my 1099 so I can finally put together my tax returns. My 1098 arrived a few days ago, too.

While I don't need it for my tax return, I did choose to receive my Fido monthly statements via U.S. Mail. However, Fido for some odd reason, changed its policy of mailing out their annual account statements even if we chose to have other similar statements sent via U.S. Mail. I now have to contact them to request those statements be mailed to me, another entry to the growing list of minor nuisances when dealing with Fidelity.

Another similar nuisance involves my (snake-bit) friend whose tax returns I prepare. We had set up in his delivery preferences to have his tax statements sent to him via U.S. Mail but have everything else available only on line. The tax statements (1099s) include a 1099-R form which we attach to his return because it has taxes withheld. But he never received the 1099-R form even though they are on line (they don't print very well) because somehow the delivery preferences for this got changed back to on line, like all the others. So we had to ask Fido to mail them to him. At least I was able to spot this before his other 1099s come out in a few weeks. Another entry to the growing list of minor nuisances I have with Fido......

Back
Top Bottom