Cholesterol madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hoping the AHA was right about Coco Puffs being heart healthy. I really like coco puffs! I also wish we would go back to the food pyramid. I liked bread being on the bottom. Now we are left in a world where veggies have taken the place of AHA endorsed Coco Puffs and Government recommended bread consumption. Where is the fun in veggies? Blah! Coco Puffs and bread forever!

My, my, my. When I was a kid, Cocoa Puffs were like catnip to a cat for me. I might go buy a box to see what that was all about. I seem to recall them changing the milk to chocolate milk before my eyes!

[ADDED] After a little checking, maybe I’m not that cuckoo anymore.

Last edited:
While there may be pitfalls to discussing medical issues on the internet, or discussing finance, math, insurance, science or any complicated field, there are also benefits. In this case, it could lead to the AHA receiving pressure from the public and medical community to stop taking money to endorse highly processed food products. It could also lead to reform in how we fund and conduct drug research and to better regulation of drug marketing to the public and the medical community.

Historically, every time the the speed and breadth of information has increased, society has moved forward. Yes, there are pros and cons, but the net effect is that more information is a net benefit to society.

Walleye pizza tonight .

OK, you got my attention, I would love to try it, looked it up on the web, don't see walleye much in California wonder what other fish would work.

As much as I love the idea and can do a little Pavlovian drool thinking about it; please; please don't call it pizza. That should be an affront to a pizza eating Chicago boy (which I am originally)

While there may be pitfalls to discussing medical issues on the internet, or discussing finance, math, insurance, science or any complicated field, there are also benefits. In this case, it could lead to the AHA receiving pressure from the public and medical community to stop taking money to endorse highly processed food products. It could also lead to reform in how we fund and conduct drug research and to better regulation of drug marketing to the public and the medical community.

Historically, every time the the speed and breadth of information has increased, society has moved forward. Yes, there are pros and cons, but the net effect is that more information is a net benefit to society.

I agree actually. I'm not an advocate of censorship. It just seems to me that in this particular instance, things have gone awry. Not sure what the solution is.

I haven't wanted to try low carb because I enjoy salads, veggies and fresh fruits and what I'm doing seems to be working. Otherwise, my diet doesn't sound very different from yours.

I think we eat about the same. I eat a large salad with protein everyday and grilled meat and two green veggies for dinner. The DW can tolerate a few more carbs so she gets extra fruit, beans and some potatoes. I have to avoid too much of those. But, I eat all the green veggies I want. In my case, flour, sugar, rice and potatoes proved to be the bad guys. I am always reluctant to call an eating pattern by a name since it means different things to different people. Vegan and Low Carb diets can probably both be healthy or loaded with processed poor quality foods. I think food quality matters a lot. Whole unprocessed food with the exception of the really starchy veggies is how we eat.

To bring us back on topic, this diet lowered my cholesterol and raised hers. Go figure. :)

As the OP of this thread, I'm amazed at where it has gone. I originally posted it as purely an amusing (to me) anecdote:
It seems that some prominent cardiologists are going far beyond the standard LDL goal of 100 or less, and now want your LDL level to be less than your age.

I thought that went way beyond reasonable, and it was just sort of a pet peeve of the day comment.

But it turned into pages of arm waving and finger wagging, and I'm sorry that happened. Perhaps best to just let it go now?

I agree actually. I'm not an advocate of censorship. It just seems to me that in this particular instance, things have gone awry. Not sure what the solution is.

You have a very difficult job and I appreciate your advice and participation. :)

ETA: I have glaucoma. I follow my doctor's every direction and take all prescribed meds. MD's and Pharma will likely save my vision.

Last edited:
OK, you got my attention, I would love to try it, looked it up on the web, don't see walleye much in California wonder what other fish would work.

As much as I love the idea and can do a little Pavlovian drool thinking about it; please; please don't call it pizza. That should be an affront to a pizza eating Chicago boy (which I am originally)

We go to far NW Minnesota early spring and early autumn every year. Fishing is great and results in a lot of walleye, northern pike, bass, crappie and perch fillets in the freezer. Looking for some variety beyond frying and baking, we stumbled upon the recipe in the "America's Favorite Fish Recipes" book published by The Freshwater Angler.

The recipe is actually called "Uchi lake Pizza Northern" and as the name implies, was originally built around northern pike. (The creator is Judy Henrickson of Uchi Lake Lodge, Sioux Lookout, Ontario.) We use walleye because we usually have a lot of it. We jokingly coined the name "walleye pizza" for our version using walleye.

Per serving: Calories - 246. Protein 37g. Carbs -s 8g. Fat - 7g. Cholesterol - 77mg.

I always eat a lot more than one serving!

https://books.google.com/books?id=g...#v=onepage&q=uchi lake pizza northern&f=false

Last edited:
MichaelB, I like this forum and greatly appreciate the excellent work and generous character of the moderaters here especially including yourself. But on the topic of statin use, I think this forum has gone astray.

I am a physician and posted once before in a thread not different from this one that I believed it was not advisable to allow medical advice to be given on an open forum. I did not make any statement on statin use itself. There followed in response attacks on me personally and the medical profession in general. So, it is not true that "we know how to disagree without being disagreeable".

Much of what is written about statin use on this forum makes me cringe-complete untruths, invalid application of statistics, citation of dubious sources, anecdotal evidence, conspiracy theories, et al. I believe the internet can and should be used by people to learn about medical issues. But that comes with the danger of getting erroneous information due to the nature of the internet and I think open forums are particularly prone to this. I wish there was an easy way to identify what sites are reliable for getting good medical information but there is a lot of grey.

Guidelines for the use of statins for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease have been issued by the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association. They will be modified as new evidence and therapies become available. But in my opinion they are the best Guidelines available now in terms of the rigorousness of how they were developed and the evidence on which they are based.

Here is a link to a user friendly "Guidelines Made Simple" version:

http://www.onlinejacc.org/sites/def...delines/Prevention-Guidelines-Made-Simple.pdf

There is a large volume of posts here which contain stunning misinformation and advocate deviating from these Guidelines. On the other side, I have seen only one person (though there may be more) who identifies him/herself as a medical professional who has undertaken to respond. I'd surmise this is because many medical professionals recognize disagreement would subject themselves to personal attacks, and there is little to be gained from the exercise. On the other side, there is no restraint to repeating over and over the same opinion or even an untruth. For some reason a cadre of very passionate statin skeptics have accumulated here and the result is something akin to a crusade against statins which may lead people who might benefit from them to not take them.

I am not expecting to change the minds of the avowed statin skeptics here, and conversely my opinion that the ACC/AHA Guidelines should be followed will not be changed by anything here. And if you have decided not to take statins, I respect and encourage your right to make your own decision-go forth in peace. The purpose of my post is to note my perception of the tenor of the discussion of statins here, and to recommend to those seeking information on cardiovascular disease prevention the ACC/AHA Guidelines and your doctor as resources above anything written on this forum.
Dr Scratchy,

I'm reading the document you posted above. Thank you. But I'm trying to understand something. I'm looking at the flow chart for primary prevention. In the green box labeled "risk discussion" under the line ≥7.5% - ≤20%, it says

"If risk estimate + risk enhancers favor statin, initiate moderate..."

What exactly do they mean by that? Ie the "+" sign. Do you have to have both estimates and enhancers? Or just one or the other? How many enhancers?

And then under that they say " if risk decision is uncertain : consider measuring CAC". What would make the decision "uncertain" ? The number of enhancers?

Thanks again.

To bring us back on topic, this diet lowered my cholesterol and raised hers. Go figure. :)

Doc and I don't credit the dietary content of my new eating regime for the lipid panel improvement. I try to tilt towards higher protein and lower carbs, but it varies and is never extreme. I'm a calorie counter and just try to keep the macro's "reasonable." So, Doc and I credit the weight loss and increased exercise for the lipid panel improvement.

BTW, DW is currently a cancer survivor (they call her status "continued remission") and the oncologist has given her diet guidelines. I do most of the shopping and meal prep. So, my goal has been to prepare foods within her guidelines, limit my quantities to control my weight and just have the macro's be reasonable. So, no extreme low carb, high fat, old fashioned food pyramid, fasting, etc., or other paths for me to follow. I just don't eat too much and have the nutritional content be reasonable vs. traditional standards. When I see the "I lost 346 lbs on the all bananas and sardines diet" advertisements, I just have to walk away since it would be too much effort to feed DW and I separate diets.

Last edited:
Scratch, stating ones opinion and giving advice is two very different things. My best friend takes one and I would never tell anyone to quit.

Dr Scratchy,

I'm reading the document you posted above. Thank you. But I'm trying to understand something. I'm looking at the flow chart for primary prevention. In the green box labeled "risk discussion" under the line ≥7.5% - ≤20%, it says

"If risk estimate + risk enhancers favor statin, initiate moderate..."

What exactly do they mean by that? Ie the "+" sign. Do you have to have both estimates and enhancers? Or just one or the other? How many enhancers?

And then under that they say " if risk decision is uncertain : consider measuring CAC". What would make the decision "uncertain" ? The number of enhancers?

Thanks again.

bmcgonig,

Before going on to try to answer your question, please note that I don't treat patients for cardiovascular disease. I'm in another specialty. I recommend the ACC/AHA Guidelines because I believe they were written by well qualified people who reviewed the available evidence critically. I loved this earlier post:

Every dr I have been to all suggest staying on it. Perhaps they are dumb as hell but I know I'm dumber than them so I will take their advice. ;)

It's very funny and also rings true-the current Guidelines will surely evolve and may be proven erroneous, as so much medical dogma has, but they are certainly more reliable than unvetted information offered by someone in a forum.

Back to your questions about the Chart, which are very good ones and the answers not immediately obvious to me-I went back to the Chart and also briefly reviewed portions of the full Guideline from which the Chart was excerpted. In fact, as I read the Chart, I'm struck by how complicated it is. It is trying to assimilate a large number of risk factors, available tests and medical and lifestyle interventions into a single flowchart. Note that the chart, and the Simplified Guidelines, are excerpts from the full 2019 Guideline on the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease. This Synopsis from the full Guideline is a little long but I think it does address both of your questions regarding the role of the risk enhancers and CAC test:

Synopsis
Assessment of ASCVD risk remains the foundation of primary prevention. Although all individuals should
be encouraged to follow a heart-healthy lifestyle, estimating an individual’s 10-year absolute ASCVD risk
enables matching the intensity of preventive interventions to the patient’s absolute risk, to maximize
anticipated benefit and minimize potential harm from overtreatment. The 10-year ASCVD risk estimate
is used to guide decision-making for many preventive interventions, including lipid management (S2.2-4,
S2.2-36) and BP management (S2.2-37); it should be the start of a conversation with the patient about
risk-reducing strategies (the “clinician–patient discussion”) and not the sole decision factor for the
initiation of pharmacotherapy (S2.2-4, S2.2-36, S2.2-38). All risk estimation tools have inherent
limitations, and population-based risk scores must be interpreted in light of specific circumstances for
individual patients. The PCE have been shown to overestimate (S2.2-15, S2.2-39–S2.2-47) or
underestimate (S2.2-12, S2.2-48–S2.2-51) ASCVD risk for certain subgroups. Thus, after calculation of
the PCE, it is reasonable to use additional risk-enhancing factors to guide decisions about preventive
interventions for borderline- or intermediate-risk adults (S2.2-4–S2.2-14). However, the value of
preventive therapy may remain uncertain for many individuals with borderline or intermediate
estimated 10-year risk, and some patients may be reluctant to take medical therapy without clearer
evidence of increased ASCVD risk. For these individuals, the assessment of coronary artery calcium is a
reasonable tool to reclassify risk either upward or downward, as part of shared decision-making. For
younger adults 20 to 59 years of age, estimation of lifetime risk may be considered. For adults >75 years
of age, the clinician and patient should engage in a discussion about the possible benefits of preventive
therapies appropriate to the age group in the context of comorbidities and life expectancy.

So my interpretation is that if you are in the intermediate risk group, i.e. ≥7.5% - ≤20% risk estimate, then you and your doctor should consider whether any of the "ASCVD risk enhancers" are present and sufficient to warrant statin therapy. And you may also consider getting the CAC test in inform your decision. Without reviewing the Guidelines in detail, I believe, if you are in the intermediate risk group, there are no absolutes in terms of number of enhancers that would indicate the threshold for recommending initiating statin therapy has been crossed. So there is fairly wide discretion at the intermediate risk level, presumably reflecting the limited benefit:risk ratio of statin therapy in this risk group.

I hope this answers your questions or at least provides a launch point for getting the answers and more-the full and simplified versions of the Guidelines really contain a great deal of excellent information.

Good wishes,
Scratchy

Scratchy, thank you for your post. I, for one, welcome opinions such as yours, especially since you obviously have medical training that most of us do not have. I have no desire to attack anyone on this forum for stating their opinion - I hope we can disagree in a civil manner and continue to share information. I do have my own opinions about statins and other health topics, based on the research I have done myself (reading articles published in peer-reviewed medical journals, mostly.........and I have provided links to those articles on several occasions, including in this thread). I don't really expect to change anyone's mind regarding statins or anything else, and I don't offer medical advice. It is up to each individual to consider all sources of information on a topic, and then make up their own mind about what they believe.

I looked at the ACC/AHA guidelines, and I actually think most of us can agree on about 80-90% of what they recommend, especially regarding diet and lifestyle factors that can influence the risk of CVD. There is little doubt that most people can reduce their risk of having CVD by not smoking, eating mostly unprocessed foods, exercising for at least 150 minutes per week, etc..

The ACC/AHA recommendations regarding statin use are something I, and many others, would question, however. As I'm sure you know, the statin debate has been raging for a decade or more in the medical community. There are many cardiologists who do not support the ACC/AHA statin recommendations (I can link to articles/publications authored by those individuals if you like, but I don't want to make this a battle of publication links). In fact, there are quite a few cardiologists who do not support the "cholesterol/clogged artery" theory of heart disease at all. If they are right, taking statins to reduce cholesterol is misguided, as it only addresses the symptoms of the problem (cholesterol buildup in the arteries), and not the cause (chronic inflammation due to oxidative damage of the artery wall). So, although the ACC/AHA guidelines for statin use may be accepted and followed by physicians such as yourself, they are definitely not accepted by all doctors, cardiologists, and CVD researchers.

You are probably also aware that quite a few of the authors of the ACC/AHA guidelines have received funding in some form from the big pharmaceutical companies over the course of their careers. I won't get into a debate here about whether that influences what they write or not, but there is certainly the potential there for some conflict of interest.

My health is very, very important to me, so I am very careful about the foods I put into my body, as well as any meds that my doctor advises me to take. I am not one to blindly accept advice from anyone about things like that......especially when there are varying opinions out there from the experts on topics like statins.

I personally think this thread has been useful and informative. It is normal and actually expected for folks to disagree on topics like this, so I have no problem with that. So I guess I don't agree with you that the form has "gone astray" with threads like this. I hope we can continue to share information and be respectful to one another, regardless of the topic under discussion.

All of those unhealthy things were most definitely recommended by USDA, AHA, and many other government-backed nutritional organizations for years, going back at least to the 50s/60s. Even today, plenty of bad advice is still being given out. For example, quite a few highly processed cereals have the AHA "healthy heart" seal of approval on the box. And USDA still recommends (as part of their "MyPlate" guideline, which replaced the USDA Food Pyramid) low-fat milk and low-fat cheese, when the evidence is pretty overwhelming now that full-fat dairy is much healthier. I could go on, but this type of advice was and is still being given out.........it is not just from commercials.

I agree. I can't cite sources I read in the 1980s and 1990s but I read a lot and have always been interested in health and nutrition. Of course we always knew that whole, unprocessed foods were the best, but what else I remember from those days: Total cholesterol level is important. No more than 10% of your caloric intake should come from saturated fat (although one writer wryly pointed out that you could keep that % low if you ate a bag of jelly beans every day since that would add zero fat but a lot of calories). I never got any indication that sugar was bad other than for diabetics, for its calorie content and for its effect on tooth decay if you weren't careful. Hence all the "fat-free" stuff that was heart-healthy. They loaded it with sugar and high-fructose corn syrup but nothing wrong with that, right? And yes, you were supposed to use margarine because animal fats were Bad, and nuts were unhealthy because they contained fats.

I have no idea who funded the studies. I do know that the rules keep changing.

Scratchy, thank you for your post. I, for one, welcome opinions such as yours, especially since you obviously have medical training that most of us do not have. I have no desire to attack anyone on this forum for stating their opinion - I hope we can disagree in a civil manner and continue to share information. I do have my own opinions about statins and other health topics, based on the research I have done myself (reading articles published in peer-reviewed medical journals, mostly.........and I have provided links to those articles on several occasions, including in this thread). I don't really expect to change anyone's mind regarding statins or anything else, and I don't offer medical advice. It is up to each individual to consider all sources of information on a topic, and then make up their own mind about what they believe.

I looked at the ACC/AHA guidelines, and I actually think most of us can agree on about 80-90% of what they recommend, especially regarding diet and lifestyle factors that can influence the risk of CVD. There is little doubt that most people can reduce their risk of having CVD by not smoking, eating mostly unprocessed foods, exercising for at least 150 minutes per week, etc..

The ACC/AHA recommendations regarding statin use are something I, and many others, would question, however. As I'm sure you know, the statin debate has been raging for a decade or more in the medical community. There are many cardiologists who do not support the ACC/AHA statin recommendations (I can link to articles/publications authored by those individuals if you like, but I don't want to make this a battle of publication links). In fact, there are quite a few cardiologists who do not support the "cholesterol/clogged artery" theory of heart disease at all. If they are right, taking statins to reduce cholesterol is misguided, as it only addresses the symptoms of the problem (cholesterol buildup in the arteries), and not the cause (chronic inflammation due to oxidative damage of the artery wall). So, although the ACC/AHA guidelines for statin use may be accepted and followed by physicians such as yourself, they are definitely not accepted by all doctors, cardiologists, and CVD researchers.

You are probably also aware that quite a few of the authors of the ACC/AHA guidelines have received funding in some form from the big pharmaceutical companies over the course of their careers. I won't get into a debate here about whether that influences what they write or not, but there is certainly the potential there for some conflict of interest.

My health is very, very important to me, so I am very careful about the foods I put into my body, as well as any meds that my doctor advises me to take. I am not one to blindly accept advice from anyone about things like that......especially when there are varying opinions out there from the experts on topics like statins.

I personally think this thread has been useful and informative. It is normal and actually expected for folks to disagree on topics like this, so I have no problem with that. So I guess I don't agree with you that the form has "gone astray" with threads like this. I hope we can continue to share information and be respectful to one another, regardless of the topic under discussion.

RAE,

Thanks for your thoughtful post and I agree with everything you have written. I have been shocked at how often medical dogma has been proven wrong, not to even mention how lacking in basis dietary guidelines issued by various bodies have been, with apparently disastrous effect. So no one can purport to know the truth about almost anything medical, especially something as complex as statin therapy.

As I said, I am not a believer in censorship so I don't have any ideas or solutions with respect to how to balance the value of free exchange of information on the one hand and potential for misinformation on the other.

The main reason I wrote previously and in this thread is that it seems overwhelmingly apparent to me that a lot of information is being offered on this forum with respect to statins that is demonstrably false (and I won't get into a debate on the specifics, except I will say that none of it came from you), and repetitive to an extreme in favor of notions contrary to the ACC/AHA Guidelines, with no rebuttal or balance. I also do feel that something of a "mob" mentality has evolved where any post suggesting statins can be beneficial is followed by a reiteration by the same members of what they have said, in some cases literally dozens of times previously.

Also in my opinion there is an inclination for some members to impugn the motives and competence of medical professionals (again very repetitively). That may be in fact be deserved in many cases, and I am not questioning their right to do so, but it is going to have the effect that input from medical professionals here is going to be stifled, which is not a good one for people genuinely in search of balanced information.

Anyway, I really appreciate the spirit of your post above and am resolved to continue to share information here in any discussion where I think I can learn something, or provide something of value to anyone else. Thanks!

Last edited:
The main reason I wrote previously and in this thread is that it seems overwhelmingly apparent to me that a lot of information is being offered on this forum with respect to statins that is demonstrably false (and I won't get into a debate on the specifics, except I will say that none of it came from you), and repetitive to an extreme in favor of notions contrary to the ACC/AHA Guidelines, with no rebuttal or balance. I also do feel that something of a "mob" mentality has evolved where any post suggesting statins can be beneficial is followed by a reiteration by the same members of what they have said, in some cases literally dozens of times previously.

Also in my opinion there is an inclination for some members to impugn the motives and competence of medical professionals (again very repetitively). That may be in fact be deserved in many cases, and I am not questioning their right to do so, but it is going to have the effect that input from medical professionals here is going to be stifled, which is not a good one for people genuinely in search of balanced information.

Anyway, I really appreciate the spirit of your post above and am resolved to continue to share information here in any discussion where I think I can learn something, or provide something of value to anyone else. Thanks!

Thanks for the response. I hope you (and other physicians) will continue to contribute your thoughts to the forum based on your training and experience. I know I have expressed my frustrations on the forum about my experiences with my doctors, but I know that there are many good doctors out there (I just wish I could find one in my area!). I do express my opinions on health matters, based mostly on what I have read and/or experienced myself. I guess I'm a little bit odd, because I do read quite a few peer-reviewed articles in the medical/health journals (and not just the popular media stuff) before I form an opinion about a subject. I am glad that you stated that medical dogma has sometimes been proven wrong, because that indicates that you have an open mind about statins and other complex medical topics. I will strive to do the same.

I don't see what's wrong with laymen sharing their experiences and discussing what they've learned here. Health is a major topic for retirees. Most readers on this forum know to do their own research. Not all doctors agree with each other either.

Yes I have been informed that more recently studies have been done on women. That’s great and I am open to learning.

bmcgonig,

Before going on to try to answer your question, please note that I don't treat patients for cardiovascular disease. I'm in another specialty. I recommend the ACC/AHA Guidelines because I believe they were written by well qualified people who reviewed the available evidence critically. I loved this earlier post:

It's very funny and also rings true-the current Guidelines will surely evolve and may be proven erroneous, as so much medical dogma has, but they are certainly more reliable than unvetted information offered by someone in a forum.

Back to your questions about the Chart, which are very good ones and the answers not immediately obvious to me-I went back to the Chart and also briefly reviewed portions of the full Guideline from which the Chart was excerpted. In fact, as I read the Chart, I'm struck by how complicated it is. It is trying to assimilate a large number of risk factors, available tests and medical and lifestyle interventions into a single flowchart. Note that the chart, and the Simplified Guidelines, are excerpts from the full 2019 Guideline on the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease. This Synopsis from the full Guideline is a little long but I think it does address both of your questions regarding the role of the risk enhancers and CAC test:

Synopsis
Assessment of ASCVD risk remains the foundation of primary prevention. Although all individuals should
be encouraged to follow a heart-healthy lifestyle, estimating an individual’s 10-year absolute ASCVD risk
enables matching the intensity of preventive interventions to the patient’s absolute risk, to maximize
anticipated benefit and minimize potential harm from overtreatment. The 10-year ASCVD risk estimate
is used to guide decision-making for many preventive interventions, including lipid management (S2.2-4,
S2.2-36) and BP management (S2.2-37); it should be the start of a conversation with the patient about
risk-reducing strategies (the “clinician–patient discussion”) and not the sole decision factor for the
initiation of pharmacotherapy (S2.2-4, S2.2-36, S2.2-38). All risk estimation tools have inherent
limitations, and population-based risk scores must be interpreted in light of specific circumstances for
individual patients. The PCE have been shown to overestimate (S2.2-15, S2.2-39–S2.2-47) or
underestimate (S2.2-12, S2.2-48–S2.2-51) ASCVD risk for certain subgroups. Thus, after calculation of
the PCE, it is reasonable to use additional risk-enhancing factors to guide decisions about preventive
interventions for borderline- or intermediate-risk adults (S2.2-4–S2.2-14). However, the value of
preventive therapy may remain uncertain for many individuals with borderline or intermediate
estimated 10-year risk, and some patients may be reluctant to take medical therapy without clearer
evidence of increased ASCVD risk. For these individuals, the assessment of coronary artery calcium is a
reasonable tool to reclassify risk either upward or downward, as part of shared decision-making. For
younger adults 20 to 59 years of age, estimation of lifetime risk may be considered. For adults >75 years
of age, the clinician and patient should engage in a discussion about the possible benefits of preventive
therapies appropriate to the age group in the context of comorbidities and life expectancy.

So my interpretation is that if you are in the intermediate risk group, i.e. ≥7.5% - ≤20% risk estimate, then you and your doctor should consider whether any of the "ASCVD risk enhancers" are present and sufficient to warrant statin therapy. And you may also consider getting the CAC test in inform your decision. Without reviewing the Guidelines in detail, I believe, if you are in the intermediate risk group, there are no absolutes in terms of number of enhancers that would indicate the threshold for recommending initiating statin therapy has been crossed. So there is fairly wide discretion at the intermediate risk level, presumably reflecting the limited benefit:risk ratio of statin therapy in this risk group.

I hope this answers your questions or at least provides a launch point for getting the answers and more-the full and simplified versions of the Guidelines really contain a great deal of excellent information.

Good wishes,
Scratchy
Thanks Scratchy. You definitely addressed my questions. I appreciate the clarification.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom