Cologne, Brussels and Ghent

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just a few cities to visit this fall before joining family in Amsterdam.

Cologne I’ve got pretty well scoped out. It’s been on the list for a long while. Ghent will be a day trip from Brussels to see a couple of things. Brussels itself I haven’t really decided much but we don’t have that much time either.

In Cologne, we visited the cathedral, then hung out in the downtown vicinity, and the river bank, took a short river cruise (we saw nude sunbathers :) ).

In Brussels, we visited the Grand Place like all visitors, then walked around to find the Manneken Pis, Jeaneke Pis, and Zinneke Pis.

Did not go to Ghent, but spent time in Bruges and Antwerp. Also drove to Hergé Museum (creator of Tintin) in a town near Brussels.

Hergé Museum was located in Brussels in our 1st visit, but we missed it. The second visit to Brussels, I made a point to get there, but they already moved it.

PS. In the drive from Cologne to Brussels, we made stop to see Aachen cathedral, and Maastricht, the birthplace of the EU where the treaty was signed.

Last edited:
Been to Aachen and Maastricht. Also been to Bruges and Antwerp. So we’re kind of filling some holes here.

Of course the Cathedral. Cologne is where Eau de Cologne was invented and there are a couple of related old museums/stores from 1700s.

There is a Schokolademuseum along the waterfront that looks interesting.

Schweinshaxe - several beer taverns offer it. That is a must. Not Munich but I’ll take it.

Generally just walking old historic cities is what we enjoy.

Last edited:
If you have seen everything else, how about stopping at the open-pit lignite mine Tagebau Hambach in Niederzier?

It's just west of Cologne. The protestors may be active that day, and you may join them for a unique experience? :D

0000.jpg

Ende_Gel%C3%A4nde_2017_CHB_23_%2826439720559%29.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of breweries, I had a chance to try Kölsch a few months ago and really liked it. This was produced by German style Alstadt Brewery near Fredericksburg. So I look forward to trying the “real thing”.

Speaking of breweries, I had a chance to try Kölsch a few months ago and really liked it. This was produced by German style Alstadt Brewery near Fredericksburg. So I look forward to trying the “real thing”.

If you're in Cologne, you won't find any other kind of beer!
They're all recognizably the same style, but each of the brewpubs is slightly different. All good.
When you're served a glass (and the glasses are small, only about 6 ounces), the waiter will make a mark on your beer mat. When you're done, he counts the marks to see how much to charge you.

OK it looks like a great opportunity to visit the Waterloo battlefield weather permitting. I’m a 1700s 1800s history buff and they’ve got lots of interpretation at the site.

Back
Top Bottom