Computer FREE Anti-Virus Protection

Windows Defender user here. I don't do risky things on my computer and I think that's the first line of defense. If I need to check a website that might be fishy I have an OLD obsolete laptop that I installed linux on that I can use.

There are a few viruses that can/have/do infect Linux machines. Same with Apple OS, even though many folks believe it's not possible.

If a person uses their computer regularly as root, then they are really subject to more effects.

https://www.unixmen.com/meet-linux-... in:,Zipworm Shown in: in 2001 ... More items
Thank you for the info. I've been a Linux user for about 10 years now (Currently using MX-Linux) and I don't recall reading any posts on the Linux forums I occasionally visit of end users suffering virus infections so if they occur I assume they are very rare. I hardly ever run anything as root and I only do so after researching very carefully what I'm doing. I do understand that Linux servers seemingly used for all large data centers are under constant attack and I assume they have sophisticated protection mechanisms in place - probably not relevant to individual end users. I do use one windows machine with Win 10 and windows defender because I can't find a good tax program that runs on Linux. It sure would be nice if the main tax program software companies would develop good Linux versions - hope springs eternal.

I retired from work as a cybersecurity professional. I use the free version of Zonealarm antivirus and firewall.

Been using Macs and Apple products since the early 90s and thought the product is not free I have not used any anti virus software so I guess that part has been free. I know people keep reporting that Apple is not completely safe but it works for me. Also used UNIX and LINUX at the same time for many of those years, same anti virus software on those.

I've used most and now just stick with MSE and use Malwarebytes periodically.

Back
Top Bottom