Consulting regrets….

Been retired for about 2 years now. Last year I took a part time consulting role that lasted about 5 months. I really enjoyed it and it paid very well. Fast forward this year and in a moment of insanity, I agreed to two pt consulting jobs that will last to October. Repeat of last year’s project and a new one. Pay is very good which part of the appeal. Never a bad idea to pad the nest while I can but not necessary (as my husband reminded me). Now I’m regretting taking them on. The work isn’t difficult but it’s corp America. Fortunately it will be over in a few months but then I’m done. Anyone else feel the pang of consulting regret? How did you cope?
Yes. Pays very well, is interesting and let's one ease out and pick work. Unfortunately, once committed am stuck with a project to the end and some seem to drag. My ultimate coping will be to stop doing them. Since money isn't needed that shouldn't be too difficult...

Oh come on...... Now we're all curious!:LOL:

Yeah, it's too good not to be shared, but I fear there are people who will recognize the story and be hurt by it. The "principle" is already gone and can not be hurt. Heh, heh, he would probably appreciate the story more than anyone else, since he lived it. Hint: (probably no surprise) Alcohol WAS involved.:cool:

I started doing some part time consulting about 6 months after retiring. It was good to do some problem solving, being paid handsomely for it. A lot of challenging technical work.

After awhile I realized that the "work creep" was entering my house and life. I would find myself always thinking about work at home. If I had free time, I would find myself going to the "office" to do a bit more to solve some problems. Yes, I was being paid but, my retirement was not relaxing. I set my own schedule but, I tend to push myself.

I have decided to quit that nonsense. I have lots of hobby interests that have been on hold through the years. That would be more fun. Another thing is that I realize that a minor "burp" in the stock market has a bigger impact on my net worth than does my consulting income for a year or two.

I retired in June 2022 and started a 15 hour a week (or so) contract in January 2023, that runs through June 9. I’m being paid the percentage of full time work (40%) and I choose the days I work monthly, can work remotely for part of it and travel at least a week a month despite working. I’ve really enjoyed it, but I will admit I haven’t committed for next year yet. A contract from August to June seems like a much bigger commitment than January to June.
On the other hand, they are also considering doing a program I have a great deal of expertise in. If they are willing to go in that direction, I would absolutely commit for the entire school year (with the same parameters of remote work, choosing work days, etc). It’s a passion of mine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom