Cord Cutters, my favorite channels (apps), and yours

For us it's "The Summer of The Sopranos"

I'm doing "The Summer of Bosch" (Amazon Prime) but I'm on the last season so now I have to ration it. Have mixed in some True Crime (old school DVD Netflix). Eventually there will be some serious withdrawal.

The Sopranos is my favorite drama series of all time, possibly even more engrossing because when I watched it, it was doled out once a week.

My most used channel on Roku is Plex. I have Plex pointed at shows I recorded from OTA using a Silicon Dust card.

Will have to give the YouTube channel another look after so many have recommended it here.

We watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube and the Bill O'Reilly video podcast on our Roku. Frequently, when certain seasons are unavailable via our paid services (i.e. Doc Martin, Season 7 & 8), we get the DVD's from our library. We almost never use Amazon Prime Video, only use Amazon for shopping. Our OTA viewing has been declining and now only consists of the local 10PM news.

I like YoutubeTV, got in when it was $35 a month. Between that and OTA, and the Library for movies, not missing much.

I like YoutubeTV, got in when it was $35 a month. Between that and OTA, and the Library for movies, not missing much.
YoutubeTV (tv.youtube.com) was what finally allowed me to convince DW to ditch cable. Between YoutubeTV, Amazon Prime and Netflix, we have plenty of options.

I am still curious about Plex.

Do the people who use it a lot to manage their media have a computer that is dedicated to being the Plex server?

Do the people who use it a lot to manage their media have a computer that is dedicated to being the Plex server?

IIRC there are some media hard drives (w/ Ethernet) that can serve as Plex servers.

I should find out so I can setup one to serve all my ripped DVDs to my various Tivos.

I use Plex on my Android phone, 3 laptops and a desktop. Can also stream to my TiVo boxes. I have a Western digital 16TB NAS drive on the network with all my pictures, movies, music and home videos on it.
Works flawlessly at home. When I am out and about usually can stream movies and music without problems. I think it's mostly problem with Android app.
I also can stream the TiVo boxes to phone without much problem.
You will always be reliant on network speed available and also your upload your ISP gives you.
I only have over the air tv so I added 2 silicon dust tuners to the NAS drive so I can record 5 shows at once.these can be streamed to where I need to. Also can sync to phone or laptop to watch offline.
I have the Plex pass lifetime $149.00 so I get the program guide for free that the silicon dust tuners use. A bonus is the Plex program will delete commercials automatically.

We never watched The Sopranos, so there's lots of episodes to work our way through. We're a bit past half way - just getting into Season 4.

This is a treasure on Amazon Prime. I got a cheap Fire tablet on Prime Day for the gym. Now, on treadmill days, I stream an episode of The Sopranos. Time flies by.

I did watch the whole thing when it originally aired, but I barely remember the details of any episode. So it's new again to me. My favorite drama of all time.

Do you know of a good primer for Plex? Something that will give an ignorant newbie like me an idea of what it does and how to set it up?
Check out the Plex forum pages. It will walk you through the whole process. Pay particular attention on files names and location.

Lazy version of cordcutting here. I cut down from the 'full' cable to 'basic' cable at $40 per month. I watch retro 'crap' because it's fun and relaxing. Get 2 old movie channels included , so I can see Taxi Driver and other DeNiro movies often. The commercials on these movie channels aren't as long as they are on the other channels. Every so often a new channel pops up out of nowhere, also included in the $40, of course. I spend more time watching old VHS tapes on my VCR than I do watching live TV though.

We never watched The Sopranos, so there's lots of episodes to work our way through. We're a bit past half way - just getting into Season 4.

I watched it when it came out and I hardly remember any of it. I dole it out to myself ONLY twice on weekends when I run on the treadmill instead of swim. It is even better than I remembered it. I will be so sad when it runs out. That is my favorite drama, movie or tv, of all time.

For those who have not experienced it yet - it's free on Amazon Prime.

I use Plex, but mainly as a DVR. It runs on my desktop (Intel I5-4570 w/16GB memory & an SSD for the OS/Programs) and I never notice any performance degradation even when it is recording 2 shows at a time (on a USB disk) or someone is streaming from the plex server (one stream at the most since we're just two of us here) or indexing the libraries (music & photos on a hard drive). I only have a handful of videos that are not DVR recordings.

That said, there is currently a bug in Plex DVR that affects watching recordings in progress from the beginning. It has been going on for a while & has a lot of users very frustrated. Some have moved on to Emby - I'm waiting for a fix.

Installing Plex & configuring it was very easy. I use an HDHomerun as the tuner & that part was easy too. After working with Mythtv for years, this is a piece of cake. But Mythtv is a much better DVR in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom