Covid Rules for your State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennsylvania:
Mask-wearing is mandatory. Enforcement is ?
Distancing of 6 feet. Good luck with that in a store on Christmas Eve.
I think gyms and indoor dining are shut down again.
Before Thanksgiving, they were at 25/50% capacity. But I wouldn’t know personally.

PA has a a negative test/quarantine requirement upon entering the state. Enforced at airports, not at borders. It’s a sieve, not a wall. I know a physician (ex-colleague) who posted bragging videos of her 6 year old on the slopes at Killington VT. She lives in Philly. At both ends of their trip a 14 day quarantine is required. I know she didn’t do that. How? Because there’s no way she would get that much time off of work to stay home and quarantine. Do I speak up, join the chorus of Facebook “oohs-and-ahs” or stay silent?

Everyone who thought it was wonderful may hate me, if I say anything. It is vexing. What to do:confused: Or not do?

Thank you all for being a great voice of reason and wonderfulness in my life fir the past 6+ years. This forum makes a difference.

Happy Christmas!

Happy HannuChristmasQuannaka!

Illinois has a mandatory face mask policy and in my trips to the grocery store and home store, compliance is very high. Most of Illinois is in stage 3 since Nov. 17th.
  • Bars and restaurants: Open for delivery, pickup, and drive through only
  • Personal care services and health clubs: Barbershops and salons open with IDPH approved safety guidance; Health and fitness clubs can provide outdoor classes and one-on-one personal training with IDPH approved safety guidance
  • Retail: Open with capacity limits and IDPH approved safety guidance, including face coverings
  • Activities permitted in groups of 10 or fewer with social distancing
Compliance varies by region based primarily on the willingness of the local State's Attorney to enforce these mandates from the Governor. The legislature did not meet for their usual summer "veto" session, so they did not take up the subject when they might have given the mandates the force of law. My sense is that most of downstate Illinois is allowing indoor dining to continue as if we were still in stage 4. It seems that every week I read of another local bar/restaurant business that has announced that they are closing. Most indicate that they plan to re-open in the spring, but of course there is no way to know if the business owners can survive until the weather improves and/or the pandemic lessons in severity.

Last edited:
Iowa here, we were in the national news for awhile due to our high relative number of cases and deaths....about a month ago our governor strengthened the mask requirements with decent results. Many businesses have been able to stay open, masks are mostly required or "strongly encouraged" everywhere. I don't think there are many dining restrictions, maybe the 10 pm rule, but that does not affect us :) Dine in appears to be way down though.

My opinion...Iowans have been pretty good at following the rules, once they were laid out. Also my opinion, I wish this had been done earlier.

in PA, too damn many rules!

Illinois has different rules by region and maybe by county. And the rules change often depending on positivity rate, hospitalization rate, etc. I used to keep track of the rules, but I no longer do. Too difficult to track down.

I no longer go to bars or sit in restaurants. Only go to stores and Dr, and I wear a mask inside. Had 7 here at our house today for Christmas. Don't know if that is against the rules or not.

Tennessee, county adjacent to Nashville. I believe the governor "banned" private gatherings of more than ten people last week? Counties have different rules. Nashville has required masks, distancing, and curfews for restaurants for months. (Hell, it still appears to be mandating temperature checks for restaurants!)

Vast majority of state under mask mandates of one type or another per local governments.

Our infection numbers are dismal, but California isn't far behind us despite far more intrusive mandates.

As for us, (after taking a week off from dining in restaurants) we are visiting parents in MO this week--and this state appears similar to ours in "mandates."

Pennsylvania:
Mask-wearing is mandatory. Enforcement is ?
Distancing of 6 feet. Good luck with that in a store on Christmas Eve.
I think gyms and indoor dining are shut down again.
Before Thanksgiving, they were at 25/50% capacity. But I wouldn’t know personally.

PA has a a negative test/quarantine requirement upon entering the state. Enforced at airports, not at borders. It’s a sieve, not a wall. I know a physician (ex-colleague) who posted bragging videos of her 6 year old on the slopes at Killington VT. She lives in Philly. At both ends of their trip a 14 day quarantine is required. I know she didn’t do that. How? Because there’s no way she would get that much time off of work to stay home and quarantine. Do I speak up, join the chorus of Facebook “oohs-and-ahs” or stay silent?

I live in PA also. While I agree that your Facebook friend from Philly violated the 14-day quarantine rules, those rules can be problematic.

Our DD lives in MD, but only a couple of miles over the border. We have visited three times since our grandson was born on Thanksgiving. To fully comply with the order we would have to quarantine on each end of our visit. Seems kind of silly since we get in the car at our house and don’t get out until we are at their house. If they lived three miles closer and had a PA address it is somehow safer?

Seems like those who live on the border just go about their business, following the COVID restrictions except the “crossing the border” regulations. In fact the last time we visited, DD had just gotten back from a trip to the nearest post office - in PA.

Illinois has different rules by region and maybe by county. And the rules change often depending on positivity rate, hospitalization rate, etc. I used to keep track of the rules, but I no longer do. Too difficult to track down.

Yes, too hard to keep up on the rules for the different areas.

I wear a mask for takeout from restaurants, grocery pickup, a run into Costco/Sams once every month or two, visit old relatives to help them.

It's too cold (danger of ice on sidewalk) now to walk around neighborhood, but when we did, I didn't wear a mask as others were not around or across the street.

Rules vary based on provincial health authority in Canada.

In BC, mask wearing is now mandatory in all indoor public spaces which was generally broadly asked for to provide a more consistent standard versus stores/retailers applying individual "policy".

Restaurants are still open but tables are is limited to a max of 6 people in your household. And apparently they have been doing random inspections and ticketing.

No social gatherings at residences beyond your household/core bubble. They've allowed a "core bubble" concept, for the sake of mental health, to basically allow individuals living alone to bubble up with a household. The limiting of social gatherings in residences is relatively recent and likely due to many of the transmissions during our recent case surge happening at gatherings in residences (versus public places) as identified by contact tracing. They are ticketing home owners having (large) house parties.

Gatherings for holiday events, even outdoors, are not allowed. But drive thru events are ok.

High intensity workout activities and adult sports are suspended. Low intensity workout and youth sports training (no games) are ok.

These are stricter rules that were put in place in the late fall as our cases started to surge. They extended them to about a week into the new year. Our recent numbers seem to show that they are bending back down but I'm guessing they want to see how the numbers are trending after the holidays before considering loosening them again.

I hope some of the Californians can answer this one for me.

My youngest will be traveling through California in early January. She will entering at the Oregon border and leaving at the Arizona boarder (well, maybe Nevada). So it's a long journey through the state. Here reason for traveling is simple. After nine months of being unemployed in her home state, she has found work in Arizona.

The restrictions on hotels renting rooms to travelers don't seem mention people traveling through the state. But, as I read the explanations, traveling for business and work purposes is still OK. Besides it would be only one night maximum. It's not like she can afford to spend a week at some posh resort in San Diego.

Is my thinking right?

My youngest will be traveling through California in early January. She will entering at the Oregon border and leaving at the Arizona boarder (well, maybe Nevada). So it's a long journey through the state. Here reason for traveling is simple. After nine months of being unemployed in her home state, she has found work in Arizona.

The restrictions on hotels renting rooms to travelers don't seem mention people traveling through the state. But, as I read the explanations, traveling for business and work purposes is still OK. Besides it would be only one night maximum. It's not like she can afford to spend a week at some posh resort in San Diego.

Is my thinking right?

I would recommend she make a reservation to be sure she will have a room. If the hotel is following any COVID procedures they will ask the appropriate questions during the booking process. But if she says she is traveling for work I doubt anyone is going to press her to prove it.

I don't keep up with the rules of California. I just assume you can't do anything.
SF Bay here. I go to the dog park 3-5 times a week, hike daily, grocery shop, and take out from Paneras and Boudins. Nothing new. Can even shop if I want to but stores limited to 20%

Last edited:

Is my thinking right?
Essential workers only in my zone (SF Bay) SO either exit state in Tahoe (staying on Nevada side doesn't have same limitations) or stay in LA / So Cal zone. That area seems to ignore the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom