Critique me, please???

Space Mountain

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi everybody:

Finally decided to post my personal situation and welcome any and all opinions.

I am a 39 yr. old man, self-employed, never married, no dependents, no debt of ANY kind. Own home outright and live in New Jersey.

I was taught right out of college to invest with Vanguard. (thanks mom)

Here is my current portfolio after my recent complimentary Flagship financial review:

Profit Sharing Plan:

Vanguard Pacific $6,000
Vanguard Total Bond Market $104,000
Vanguard Total International $ 11,000
Vanguard Small Cap Value $13,000

ROTH IRA:

Vanguard Total Stock Market $88,000
Vanguard Extended Market Index $3,000
Vanguard Diversified Equity $40,000

-I no longer can contribute to the ROTH due to current income. The current ROTH is a rollover.

Taxable Individual Account:

Vanguard 500 $43,000
Vanguard Small Cap Index $7,000
Vanguard Healthcare $32,000
Vanguard Precious Metals & Mining $11,000
Vanguard STAR Fund $40,000
Vanguard Primecap $93,000
Vanguard Pacific $8,000
Vanguard Total International $88,000
Vanguard Windsor II Admiral $92,000
Vanguard Mid-Cap Index $20,000
Vanguard Small Cap Value $7,000

VanguardPrime Money Market.................$177,000 (yes, I know) I'm guilty of waiting for a big correction.

I plan on moving $100,000 to my taxable Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund (Admiral)

$77,000 would then be liquid for everday expenses. Bills, food, etc... Yes, probably STILL too much for Money Market.

After I move that 100K to Total Stock Market, I will be roughly 85% stock......15% bonds. Again, this does not include the 77K for expenses and liquidity.

I did not have to consolidate my taxable account per my vanguard advisor because of tax implications. (still balanced, however)

20% of my total stock is International
80% is Domestic

Large Cap is 79%
Mid Cap is 13%
Small Cap is 8%

My estimated net worth including my home is 1.1 million.

Just looking for some reinforcement and/or criticism.

Thanks all!!!:)

Ooh, I love to critique people!

You're 39 and not married? What are you waiting for? I'm sure we can fix you up with somebody here. And eat your vegetables!

Your portfolio looks fine. I'm surprised the Vanguard advisor didn't give you a hard time about the sector funds.

If you're flagship, you should have a "portfolio watch" tab. It'll go through your allocation and gripe at you for not being at the "right" market cap weighting and other stuff, if that's what you're looking for.

Space Mountain, you look like you're doing just fine to me. That's a very impressive net worth for someone your age.

Welcome to the board!

Coach

what is the portfolio worth without the home equity?

I think 85-15 is a good distribution for being 39 yo.
I think 20% international is appropriate as well.

I think small caps are underweighted and large caps are overweighted. 45-15-15 is the weighting I use (large-mid-small)... but 8% small caps is too low for my taste.

Diversification

Your diversification between equity and bonds looks okay to me, but I would suggest you begin shifting that admittedly high level of cash to equity through periodic automatic investments at a chosen dollar amount. The averaging effect of multiple periodic deposits over time is the best way to make significant shifts between asset classes. It has been proven over and over that this method always beats trying to guess market bottoms.

I would also increase your allocation into energy, metals/minerals, and get into REITs. Over the long run you can improve returns and lower risks by carrying these asset classes given their more negative correlation with domestic and international stocks.

Welcome ,
I'm a former Jersey girl now living in Florida .I'd fix you up with my daughter but she's happily married .Hey ,I have a neice in New York City that designs purses .Her website is Beckycity.com .

ROTH IRA:
Vanguard Total Stock Market $88,000
Vanguard Extended Market Index $3,000
Vanguard Diversified Equity $40,000

I would consider rolling all of this into one fund, TSM (Admiral). This will eliminate overlap and lower your ER as DE fund has an ER of.43! TSM (Admiral) has an ER of .09%.

Back
Top Bottom