Current Administration vow to eliminating ACA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, it really varies by state and even county. I've heard and read the stories about areas with one plan only available, or one provider. But where I live I have a choice of several providers, dozens of plans at all levels. I had to switch docs when I started but I've been very pleased with my new choices, as as DH. I can definitely say if I can keep this plan for 15 years I'll be very happy.
This is the problem. We have great HI in some states, even counties within those states are different. And terrible HC in other states/counties. The question is should all states be equal and offer the same benefits to everyone.

Would I go to a small town, local hospital that serves a limited population? Or would I go to Northwestern, U of Chicago, Rush...for the best surgeons, best HC? What could I afford? And how important is the procedure to my future health? Some people are happy to have an MD in their area who will see them. I check background, resume, med school attended and even want to know how many surgeries or procedures that Doc has done.

Medicare would unify our care to an extent. To those Docs that accept Medicare. And for those who can afford the best will pay for the best.

We're a divided country on this issue.

What I am suggesting is that people would not be denied coverage due to pre-existing condition, nothing more. Not trying to solve the overall HI problem. That has already been tried, and failed.

Would you be okay if your premiums went up by a factor of 5 or 10 after you were referred to a cardiologist for the first time, came down with cancer, or contracted a cornoavirus? Surely the insurance company would want to price for this increased risk if it were to occur. Especially if their competitors are allowed to.

These are the scenarios that concern me. I was able to ER in that I could have somewhat predictable healthcare costs after leaving the employer group health insurance pool where premiums were based on the entire pool of employees -- not each individual separately.

That being said, I am not opposed to some differential pricing for continuing current behavior that is risky (ie tobacco use, obesity, untreated hypertension) and that the individual has some degree of control over.

Respectfully,
-gauss

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it really varies by state and even county. I've heard and read the stories about areas with one plan only available, or one provider. But where I live I have a choice of several providers, dozens of plans at all levels. I had to switch docs when I started but I've been very pleased with my new choices, as as DH. I can definitely say if I can keep this plan for 15 years I'll be very happy.

What I described is what happened in the DFW metroplex in Texas. While it was good coverage and network for about two years, the network got progressively narrower and the coverage more expensive each year thereafter. There has always been multiple insurers, but they all were lousy, even from large ones like Blue Cross. Texas has a problem with healthcare due to so many uninsured and illegals and their care ends up being subsidized by those who can pay and also too few doctors.

Actually, there is one politician (still in the race) that announced on April 9th his proposal for people age 60+ the option to buy into Medicare.

This candidate said "And to be clear — these are priorities now, but they will be my program ...."

That's as much as I think I can say without introducing politics.

You can google it for more information.

Yes, I’m aware of that proposal. A candidate from a few years ago, again won’t say who, had proposed 50 as the age. So 60 is better than 65 but not as bold as other proposals.

I believe you. The ideas for 50+, 55+ and 60+ are definitely there and have been voiced too but it's not going anywhere (not to get into any politics)

It could. Hard to discuss this topic without venturing into politics. Depends on makeup of the executive and legislative branches.

It wasn't just one senator, the medical people don't want Medicare for all or anything resembling it. The pay schedule is so low it gives people medical care by costing doctors and hospitals big bucks..

Wasn’t suggesting Medicare for All. I specifically said a buy-in option for 55+. We won’t get universal coverage in this country because there are too many powerful insurance lobbyists and medical groups out there who have spent billions over decades convincing us of the evils of “socialized” medicine.

Last edited:
Wasn’t suggesting Medicare for All. I specifically said a buy-in option for 55+. We won’t get universal coverage in this country because there are too many powerful insurance lobbyists and medical groups out there who have spent billions over decades convincing us of the evils of “socialized” medicine.

55 and over doesn't make a difference this age starts to require more health care at more expense that's the way it works. It fact it might be less costly in total to do Medicare for all, but it won't happen.

And there are many who don't understand the economics of coverage and the impact of adverse selection, which is why there are areas in the country with only a single plan.

Let's assume that there is a buy-in OPTION for 55+, priced based on actual cost numbers (no subsidies). Using 2018 data:
According to the most recent data available from the CMS, national healthcare expenditure (NHE) grew 4.6% to $3.6 trillion in 2018. That's $11,172 per person.
source: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/082015/how-much-medicaid-and-medicare-cost-americans.asp. If there were similar increases in 2019/2020, we would now be at 12,223/person in 2020. On a monthly basis, that is $1018.

According to this article, the nation wide average unsubsidized ACA plan cost is:
Premiums for individual coverage averaged $440 per month
. Uplift that at the same rate for 2020, and we would have $460/month.

So assuming the ability to opt in @ $1018/month vs. an ACA plan at $460/month, so are the likely people to do so?

Answer: Those who are more at risk and need the assurance of the more robust plan.

Now, a counter argument is that the $1018 number is high - because it includes older / sicker people than a 55 to 65 segment would provide. So, the numbers could be considerably closer? Does anyone have any estimates /sources of information for this?

Attachments

• Porky Plug.JPG
    Porky Plug.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 24
I think Porky is looking at this thread now.

+1. I'm not going to venture in by responding to the veiled political comments. I don't propose to have a solution, just stating that I have seen where most changes propose keeping a pre-existing condition clause. Hopefully something comes along that is both (apparently) constitutional, and provides healthcare opportunity for all. We'll see where it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom