custom handlebar extensions

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Creative ideas flowed over a bottle of old vine zin. Turns out the cork is the exact o.d. of my 760mm carbon mtb handlebar. Cut the corks (1 real cork, 1 synthetic for experimental purposes) to 25mm, shaved the all but 10mm down to press them into the open ends. Slid the grips back on, no rub, perfect fit. :dance: New 780mm handlebar made from leftovers. :LOL:

Test ride the Bronson tomorrow at first light. If I like it, I will try to source a couple more synthetic corks. Seems like all my wine has real cork these days. So I may just use that on my new Salsa for the time being. No shortage of corks around this household. ;)

If you ride a Bronson like most folks I've seen riding Bronsons I'm betting those cork bar extensions snap right off on the first hard downhill...

Related story: I have bar ends and some old grips as extenders on my gravel bike. I call it the clown bike, but I use this set up for a more upright posture when my neck is sore. Anyway, when the inevitable crash occurred I snapped one of those grips in half (then machined an Aluminum dowel insert to reuse the grip, so I'm sure in the next crash I'll end up bending the whole handlebar - but hey it's an old bike I don't ride much).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom