Did a pension ever a sway you to a specific job?

Yep, a great DB pension along with 35 paid days off every year lured me in. We pay 9.5% into our calpers 2% @ 55 plan.

DH's DB pension caused us to turn down a move for my career. It was the right decision. We are both retired now and he has a 75% joint and survivor pension that brings in $3800 per month after tax.

Per CalPERS, here are the numbers (http://www.calpers.ca.gov/eip-docs/about/facts/facts-at-a-glance.pdf) for FY 2013-2014 retirees:

I suspect that the school member number is skewed down both due to the lower years of service and the number of part-time pension-eligible workers (e.g., substitute teachers).

The fact that many public sector employees can (and do) retire early is at least partially indicative of the value of those plans.

I'm pretty sure the average school member pension is lower because it doesn't include the public safety pensions that all of our police, FF's and others receive. The 3% tier one safety retirement was a very generous plan that is hurting many local government agencies trying to fund their obligations.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom