did daddy ever buy you a pony?

lazygood4nothinbum

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
neither my brother nor i have as much money as our parents did but we have money at a different time of life. my parents made most of their money after my brother and i were off on our own. but because my brother had kids much later in life (we are really two generations older than my youngest nephew), his kids are benefiting from the cash my brother generates now as compared to what he was able to do in his youth when he did not have kids.

and here i thought i used to know how to work the system but the best i ever got was a schwin stingray with a banana seat. my niece just got her own pony to jump. a real life pony. who gets a pony? now of course, brother has to buy a ranch for the pony. i might just become a ranch hand in my early retirement. after years and years of corporate crap, finally i get to shovel manure.

what do you give your kids that you did not get? what did you want that you didn't get? did your daddy ever buy you a pony?

meet my niece's "malibu barbie"...

img_550192_0_44bc26c57fc132d3b3ffd5917a32b808.jpg

after years and years of corporate crap, finally i get to shovel manure.
:2funny:

now of course, brother has to buy a ranch for the pony. i might just become a ranch hand in my early retirement.
Actually, this sounds like a cool deal!

My brother always said he would build a room for us over the drain field. I would take it in a New York minute.:D

I always wanted kangaroo shoes and I'd ask for them every christmas but no go "you'll break your ankle " .A couple of years ago my daughter found a pair at a garage sale and bought them for me .Ankles intact !

My folks were always poor, but since I was their only offspring, I got a little more than most kids. But....

til this day, I still joke with my daddy, saying "it sure would have been nice to have had a pony."

Beautiful horse by the way. :)

:'(

Folks started making great money when I was about 14-15. Before that it was pretty lean. I was the first one in the neighborhood with a 3 speed bike (dad traded a puppy for the bike). Seemed like I waited forever but finally got those cool bell bottom jeans like the other kids.

My kids I think have nicer clothes, nicer house, more access to sports, hobbies, private classes for art, tennis, golf, etc. though I had some of that. We made it to Disneyworld a few years ago when I was a kid we didn't spend that much on our vacations. Finally there is no shortage of video games and equipment around this joint.

I never got anything from my parents while growing up. My kids get my time as a youth sport coach. I also gave my son a football and my daughter a basketball. I never had either of those as a kid.

My dad only allowed us to flush the toilet if we had a bowel movement, if we just had to pee, we didn't flush to save money.

Yep, Dad bought us a pony, it was a bribe to make us want to live with him instead of my mother (ugly divorce, we were used as pawns). The plan backfired, we figured we could ride it when we were visiting him and still live with mom.

No pony, here, though my father was very wealthy. Some of the neighbors had pony rides at their birthday parties, but we were in the city so even with acre lots, that was about it. Some had ponies out at stables in the country but I never saw their ponies.

Let's see - - for Christmas I got a lump of coal one year, and most years just got clothes. Another year I got luggage for international vacations I didn't want to go on.

The Christmas when I was 4, one of my father's patients gave me the dreamiest blue bike with a bell, basket, and training wheels. It disappeared and they told me it was stolen because I had left it out (but years later, admitted that they just got rid of it because they thought it would spoil me). No replacement bike, either.

Gosh, now I sound like the Poor Little Match Girl!!! ROFL It really wasn't so bad, for those days.

My grandmother wanted to buy me a pony (she grew up when they were basic transportation). She thought we could keep in the back yard of our suburban home! My parents nixed that plan. BTW, I never rode or had any interest.

However, my daughter wants a horse very badly. She started begging for lessons at 3, started taking lessons at 8 and is now 11. She jumps, does dressage, the works. But, she is not getting a pony until she can maintain it. The initial cost isn't so bad, but the monthly housing, feeding, vet, and other fees are enought to, well, choke a horse....

My younger brother came 8 years after me. As far as "stuff" goes, I got very little. My one and only bicycle was used, and way too big for me at the time. I had to ride it with one leg hung over the center bar while standing on the other pedal. Going up hill was a dangerous undertaking. Of course little brother got about anything he wanted. To this day we have a totally different attitude about stuff and money: I'm very obsessive about it to a fault, and he's a let the good times roll sort. Thankfully, he married a girl from humble roots or he'd be bankrupt.

Of course I didn't get a pony. Are you kidding? But DW, who lived in the city, had a horse! (Whatever the little girl wanted I suppose.) She and I don't always view the spending of money the same, but I think it's turned out to be a very good blend.

and here i thought i used to know how to work the system but the best i ever got was a schwin stingray with a banana seat.

Hey, don't be dissin' the stingray. That was my favorite bicycle ever. :D

Both DW & I received some slightly oversized gifts (for our modest income bracket) from our non-custodial fathers. Me, a used sports car at 16, her, a pony at 12. Probably some combination of love, guilt, and a desire to "one-up" the ex-wife.

Yes! I got my first pony, Heyward, a lovely chestnut with a black mane and tail, for Christmas/Birthday when I was 7 years old!
I got Rebel, the Appaloosa pony when I was 11 (outgrew Heyward).
Then my wonderful show horse Rocky when I was 15. He was awesome! We did reining, Western and English equitation/horsemanship and even a bit of jumping/eventing. In 1987, Rocky was the Performance Horse of the Year for South Carolina (Appaloosa Horse Club). Very cool!

I won many state and regional show championships as a young adult and teen. What a great way to grow up! I still miss riding and competing--maybe I will take it up again when we retire.
Sarah

Ding, Ding, ding... (CFB, wherever you are, the check's in the mail)

FZ, "Montana", and yes, I've been spiking the coffee...

Btw, welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom