Did my own X-Ray

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I found the Morningstar X-Ray tool frustrating so I took their data for each of my holdings and entered it in a spreadsheet. That enabled me to see just where assets were buried and enabled me to easily do what-ifs.

As I mentioned in another thread I sold OAKWX a couple days ago. I kept OAKIX and expected that would now be my entire x-US holding. Not true, it turned out as VWNAX holdings are 11%+ foreign stocks. No need to buy IDOG or the like to juice up foreign stocks. I discovered my portfolio is heavy with 'giants' (which probably is typical of a retiree portfolio) really light in mid-caps. Considering taking the cash from OAKWX and investing it in VO.

It is so tempting to go back to the well to Navios (NMM) but at my age I think cyclicals should be avoided.

I really recommend a do-it yourself x-ray.

Last edited:
I have created my own portfolio x-ray spreadsheet too. I use it to determine when to rebalance.

How do you plan to keep it up as the holdings change over time?

For me the key is to keep the number of ETFs/funds under 10. Take a look once every 6 months to see if it has gotten too far out of balance.

Google "sengsationa1 instant xray" for a trick I published (youtube video).

I also have keyed the allocations of each position so I can easily get AA. In my case it is a screen scraper app I wrote for myself, but the idea is the same as a spreadsheet: keep the allocations by asset class handy for recalulating AA.

Very clever! Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom