Disability insurance?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a question concerning disability insurance. I am 46, single, and my net worth is around $2M. My question is do I really need it? If I become unable to work, I can always tap into my savings to cover my expenses. Maybe I could use some sort of long term disability if something serious happens, but I don’t see the need to buy short term disability insurance. Does this make sense or am I missing something?

If a SWR on y our portfolio would support you indefinately, I see no reason to pay for DI of any sort.

agree w/ brewer on the DI insurance [LT or ST]. Medical insurance is another issue "if something serious happens."

What brewer said. The purpose of disability insurance is to replace your income if you are unable to work. If you have sufficient savings to support yourself, you are self-insured.

I view all insurance as protection from financial catastrophy from anything I cannot afford to cover without it. Sounds as if you're good without disability insurance. Typically disability insurance is pretty cheap though. BUT, what about personal liability? LTC? Medical? The risks these cover you for can be significant. But I'm sure you know that.

Thanks for all the replies. I do currently have good medical insurance and personal liability insurance, but no LTC insurance. I do have medical insurance through my job, which raises the question of if I become disabled, would I lose my medical insurance also? Are there any laws regarding this? I work for the federal government. And I'd also become eligible for SS. But in all my financial planing, I'm not relying on SS, just to be conservative in my estimates.

Back
Top Bottom