Do You Have a Rainy Day Passion?

On bad weather days, I'll cook a sumptuous meaty meal complete with dessert, open a wonderful bottle of wine, put on a great movie and DH and I will have a big feast!

Definite INTJ with ADD, so I dabble in lots of things: playing guitar/writing songs, woodworking, photography, bicycling, napping...

How do you manage to only dabble at napping:D

One of my occasional rainy-day activities has been digitizing my LP collection.

It takes some time to break down all the tracks and edit them for the proper fade-in fade-outs and/or lead ins, and label the track names. I also get obsessive about trying to get as many clicks and pops edited out as I can. I sometimes find I spend 10 minutes on a few seconds of a quiet section of music, but then can go for a few minutes with no edits.

I have not found any automated SW that works w/o mucking up the sound. I zoom in on the waveform, find the little click and use the 'repair' function in Audacity - that's really good at making a small section of the waveform (< 3 mSec) follow the trend of the waveform adjacent to it. The pop is gone and no noticeable effect on the sound, since you've only edited such a small section.

-ERD50

1. Studying chess for my next tournament.
2. Baking and trying to perfect homemade bagels, pies, croissants, etc.
3. Programming a game or other piece of interesting software, such as a neural net.
4. Play with my kids if they are home from school!
5. Read, read, read.
6. Write something for one of my 3 blogs.
7. Surf financial sites or tweak a spreadsheet.
8. Download and play with new software or apps.
9. Pull out my charts or sailing magazines and daydream about the next sailing trip.
10. Enjoy a glass of wine with DW.

So much to choose from even on a rainy day.

Our rainy day projects, in addition to the things above are cleaning out old stuff.
1. We have a single sheet scanner. One of my winter projects is to digitize then shred or keep many documents. Once digitized, I write out a description. Documents can be financial items, genealogy stuff, middle school awards.
2. We have a turntable and a mixer and sound editing software. I am digitizing Grass Roots, Madman Across the Water, and 75 other LPs.
3. DW has many slides from the 60s and 70s. She is digitizing them by using her SLR camera. I don't know how that works but it does.
4. A completed project was to compare back tax returns to SS record. Done. Have shredded most documents from the time before Reagan's second term but still debating whether we should keep the return itself. I understand the statute of limitations has passed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom