Do you have glass coverage?

No. Glass coverage where we live would amount to an additional $225 on my auto insurance policy per year. It cost $270 to replace a windshield a few years ago. I am ahead of the game so far. I have had two chips repaired. Do not want water to get in, freeze, and have the glass crack.

It might be different if we had one of new vehicles that required glass AND a recalibration of the various safety systems. I am told that these replacements can be quite expensive.

Yes.

The study found that windshield replacements for vehicles equipped with automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning systems ranges from $1,200 to $1,600 for aftermarket glass and $1,300 to $1,650 for factory glass, according to the AAA report.

Here in Florida, if you have a comprehensive/collision policy, your replacement windshield is covered. Florida Statute 627.7288 requires auto insurers in Florida to replace or repair their policy holders damaged windshield with zero deductible, or, in other words, for “free.”

This is probably the most misused word in the English language. Followed close behind "literally."

Glass is covered under our comprehensive coverage with a $50 deductible for replacement and $0 deductible for repair. The premium varies by vehicle but is not expensive.

We recently bought a 2019 Subaru Forester with the Eyesight driver assist system (two cameras positioned on either side of the rearview mirror). The Subaru "Finance Guy" tried to sell us some special windshield replacement insurance. He said the dealership charges $1200 for replacement and recalibration of the Eyesight system.

I checked with our insurance agent and he assured us that if something happened to the windshield, our comprehensive coverage would cover OEM replacement and recalibration of the Eyesight system by the dealership, if needed.

We've always had windshield coverage as a rider on our comprehensive policy. It is $3 per month per car, and is not subject to the deductible. Since I've replaced three windshields and repaired more chips than that, it has proven to be worth the cost.

Back
Top Bottom