Do you still have dreams about work?

Odd. For the first 19 years, never, not once! Just recently, every few weeks. What's that about?

Heck, I still have dreams I'm back in college and forgot to study for an exam.

Less now than the first few years. Just realized I'm two days past 8 years retired, and I don't think I've had a work dream in a year...
This is very consistent with my experience, except I'm at 8 years, 2 months now.

Since I retired, I have never had a dream about work. But then I never dreamed about work when I was working, either. Actually, I rarely dream at all.

Fully retired 19 years now........ For the first few years, dreams and day-dreams of work were fairly common and often not pleasant. Then a lull for a decade plus. Lately, I've begun having a few again. Surprisingly, very detailed and vivid considering the amount of time that has passed. I'm still very close to a handful of folks I worked with and we do meet for breakfast, lunch or pub sessions for "therapy."

Last edited:
VERY rarely I'll have a dream about my former w*rk. More often, I dream about university days. What's up with that?
Same here, very few work related dreams, but tramatic dreams about failing an exam or some class. Not often, but these dreams highlight the stress i was feeling while in school. I was in the Army 30 years with a few combat deployments, and i have nearly zero dreams about work. Go figure

Same here, very few work related dreams, but tramatic dreams about failing an exam or some class. Not often, but these dreams highlight the stress i was feeling while in school. I was in the Army 30 years with a few combat deployments, and i have nearly zero dreams about work. Go figure
I wonder if the stressful university life just at the time young humans are finishing their brain and personality development lead to the dreams we all seem to have.

Then again, I would say that my life was, generally, more stressful in university than during my w*rking life. It was all "new" and there was that pesky war waiting for a guy who would instantly become 1A if he flunked out (or even failed one course, in reality.) Just thinking out loud.

I just know that my dreams are still 10 to 1 university to w*rk. YMMV

Yes usually about stupid stuff that does not matter
I tell myself to forget about it and it is getting to be less and less.
I guess it's normal for folks to dream of work a little bit after retirement as we spent 44 year working....

Still have dreams, very occasionally, about a corporate job I left over 25 years ago.

I joined the Army out of high school (see profile picture, that is me on my tank). I have been out for 35 years, and I still have dreams that I re-enlisted. I then wonder why in the world I would re-enlist. I have a family. I'm too old to keep up physically. I think my time in the Army was one of the most influential events in my life.

I joined the Army out of high school (see profile picture, that is me on my tank). I have been out for 35 years, and I still have dreams that I re-enlisted. I then wonder why in the world I would re-enlist. I have a family. I'm too old to keep up physically. I think my time in the Army was one of the most influential events in my life.
My youthful days in the Navy were transformative for me, setting the stage for everything that has come after, but I don't dream about them.

On being in the military (the Air Force), I look back on those days and realize they were some of the most adventuresome days of my life. You do not realize things like that when you are young and doing it.

I have been retired for over ten years, now. I had one of those work dreams last month. I think it was one of those lucid dreams that you are aware of what's going on as you sleep.

It began when I went back into work after being retired. I just wanted to go back, help out, and see how it was. Everything at work was completely rearranged and with all new people and equipment. I could feel the frustration and anxiety rising because I could not do my job correctly anymore. It was the real feeling. The people were not friendly, either. I realized in the dream that I was due to retire all over again at the end of the week. It was kinda like that movie, "Ground Hog Day", with Bill Murray. When I realized what I had gotten myself into, I knew I had to get out of there. I had a ton of leave saved up. I looked around and could not find any Leave Request Slips. I could not get out of there! No Leave Slip...and not being able to leave. I could feel the panic setting in! How was I going to get out of there?

Then I woke up. Boy, what a relief my world is not like that...nor what it used to be. In reality, dreams are a release of your inner fears.

It is good to be Free. To this day I do not take my freedom for granted. And that's my story.

Here is a fun one. My current line of work is opening up the earth, and then it is vulnerable to weather. Rain used to wake me up at night. I'd wake up and think about how bad the job site was going to be, how much mud would I have to mitigate. I lost sleep over it.
Now that I'm virtually retired I celebrate the rain. When I wake up in the night and find it raining, it brings some happiness. The plants need it the lawn needs it. I fall back asleep without a thought.
On the other hand I have been thinking back on the flying I used to do, and I am actively dreaming about that.

My recurring dreams are usually trying to get out of some maze like building, or getting lost in a strange city. Then I start to wake up and realize it was a dream and there is no problem.

I've been retired for almost 9 years and I occasionally have dreams about being at work. Not really nightmares but in my dreams something is always wrong and there seems to be a deadline or other obstacle that (for some reason) I have to overcome fast.

Wow. Now the one about being lost in a strange city is the one reocurring dream I have often.

The work dreams faded around 10 years ago (I retired nearly 16 years ago). However, I had some dreams about college around 10 years ago, and I graduated from college nearly 40 years ago. Go figure.

One of my rare "w*rk" dreams occurred early this AM. I was in the cafeteria at Megacorp and an old boss was visiting after his retirement. In my dream I said to myself: "I thought he'd already passed away." (In reality, he passed several years ago. I have a copy of his obituary on my computer.)

How is it that such a major incongruity does not snap one out of a dream??

One of my rare "w*rk" dreams occurred early this AM. I was in the cafeteria at Megacorp and an old boss was visiting after his retirement. In my dream I said to myself: "I thought he'd already passed away." (In reality, he passed several years ago. I have a copy of his obituary on my computer.)

How is it that such a major incongruity does not snap one out of a dream??
Maybe ghosts really do exist! I wonder if my old work friends have dreams about me?

I rarely dream that I can remember, maybe once per year. I’ve never dreamt about work.

I've been retired almost 17 years but do still occasionally have a dream about work (thankfully, they have become less frequent over the years). The funny thing is that they all seem to follow the same pattern - I am at work and an unpleasant situation arises (I am moved into a bad office space, I am given a bad assigment, etc.). Then at some point in the dream I realize either I am retired or am about to retire and I don't have to put up with this, LOL!

Yeah, I figure my dream is a direct result of this thread!:cool: I hadn't had a w*rk dream for a long time. Fortunately, this one wasn't a "bad" dream but just puzzling.

Something the dream pointed out to me was that the passing of time has blunted some of my more negative feelings. I never disliked my boss but found him difficult to please and difficult to fathom. He was a nice enough guy to just sit and have coffee with, but as a boss, he rarely offered useful feedback and NEVER offered any praise for a j*b well done. He even said once "That's what I expect." I recall telling him "It costs you nothing to offer a pat on the back and it pays big dividends." I never got that point across.

But, I find that I have forgiven him for being an "imperfect" boss. I know I certainly was an imperfect boss to my direct reports. Maybe it's true that time heals all wounds or maybe I'm just more forgiving now. In any case, I think this particular dream was cathartic.

Real funny. DW, who has been cleaning out the walk-in closet for the past few days, woke up screaming and thrashing at 4 AM. When I got her to calm down, she told me that in her nightmare, she couldn't find matching parts for her wardrobe no matter what she picked out, She was going to be late w*rk! She's been retired for 9 years!

Back
Top Bottom