does ground coffee spoil?

So what do you think of Folgers Crystals. [emoji3]
My coffee comes packaged in very tiny containers called beans. I pierce fifty to a hundred containers using a machine called a grinder every time I want coffee. I find the bean containers will last a long time on the shelf if stored away from light, heat and air. Freezing is not necessary.

Chok-Full-of-Nuts is that heavenly coffee.
Better coffee millionaire money can't buy

I am just barely old enough that I remember that jingle from listening to the radio at my grandmother's house.
Now THERE was a lady who liked strong coffee - probably because she left for work at 5 a.m.! She perked it in a Pyrex pot on the stove.

My coffee comes packaged in very tiny containers called beans. I pierce fifty to a hundred containers using a machine called a grinder every time I want coffee. I find the bean containers will last a long time on the shelf if stored away from light, heat and air. Freezing is not necessary.
Beans in their green (unroasted) form last much longer.

Chok-Full-of-Nuts is that heavenly coffee.
Better coffee millionaire money can't buy

I don't know if this is true, but my Mom told me the original jingle was "better coffee than Rockefeller's money can buy" but the Rockefeller family wouldn't give permission.

I freeze my ground coffee & occasionally make a few cups.

In a percolator...I have become my parents.

So you probably aren't a fan of Chef Boyardee or Spaghetti Os as true Italian cuisine [emoji1787]

Cultural appropriation!!!! Chef Boyardee and his corporate cohorts need to be CANCELED! :mad:.

I bet he can't make a good cappuccino even using Lavazza beans.

I don't know if this is true, but my Mom told me the original jingle was "better coffee than Rockefeller's money can buy" but the Rockefeller family wouldn't give permission.

Your mom was right. I'm just old enough to remember hearing the original version.

The jingle’s original last line, “Better coffee Rockefeller’s money can’t buy,” was changed in 1957, after John D. Rockefeller Jr. and his family complained.
https://artdiamondblog.com/archives/2013/08/_for_the_full_o_7.html

I have been making my own crude version of cold brew coffee.
I normally buy the 12 oz bags.

This time I bought the 30 oz canister of Maxwell House Medium.

I opened the seal and I did not smell the nice aroma of fresh coffee ground. I had my mother smell it and she agreed. It smelt burnt.

Is it that Maxwell House is not good coffee or did I receive a bad canister?
The expiration date is August 2021.

Even though the label states "medium" was probably a bit over roasted, which is why it smelt burnt. Also I suspect that coffee is a blend of Robusta, or possibly even 100% Robusta as the information I read online states that Maxwell House Medium contains 100% coffee which is indirect hint that it contains Robusta instead of Arabica coffee. Robusta coffee is more harsh smelling that Arabica coffee at the same roast level, with lower grades of Robusta smelling like burnt rubber tires....like an 18 wheeler that just locked its brakes up out on the highway.

Espresso blends usually contain a small percentage of Robusta but if you want a good pot of auto-drip coffee one usually needs to use Arabica coffee. The coffee will smell better and taste better if the roast is fresh and ground right before brewing. If you are cold brewing, then freshly ground probably does not matter, but I would still look for something that was 100% Arabica. Robusta blends can be good, but those are usually found at the artisanal coffee roasters.

Robusta also has more caffeine than Arabica, which might be a concern to some.

So what do you think of Folgers Crystals. [emoji3]

We’re here at the world-famous Maison Robert restaurant. The diners have no idea that we’ve replaced the fine coffee normally served with Folger’s Crystals, though the thick cables crossing the floor, the 50,000 watt Klieg lights, the giant mirrored box in the center of the room, and the fact that their meals were comped might have been a bit of a giveaway...

(Seriously, I saw a Folger’s commercial being shot.)

Roast = burn to a lower or higher degree.

Maxwell House and Folgers (and similar low end brands) are the $50-$100 Android phones of the coffee market. I'm not saying they are bad, but they are mass market, lower end process coffees.

A French Roast is roasted more than a medium or light roast. An Espresso roast is roasted more than a French Roast.

Does that mean Starbucks = iPhones [emoji1787]
Roast = burn to a lower or higher degree.

Maxwell House and Folgers (and similar low end brands) are the $50-$100 Android phones of the coffee market. I'm not saying they are bad, but they are mass market, lower end process coffees.

A French Roast is roasted more than a medium or light roast. An Espresso roast is roasted more than a French Roast.

We've finally found a good bean that comes close to the Costa Rica bean DW brought back to me last year.

Costco brand "Organic medium /dark blend" is really great with our Bunn quick brew. Grind is medium in a burr grinder. I wake up thinking about the first cup... Very affordable too.

Interesting. Thanks for the recommendation. Will have to try it.
We've finally found a good bean that comes close to the Costa Rica bean DW brought back to me last year.

Costco brand "Organic medium /dark blend" is really great with our Bunn quick brew. Grind is medium in a burr grinder. I wake up thinking about the first cup... Very affordable too.

No idea. We go thru it so quickly that it is not an issue.

Buy our beans at Costco. Medium dark or dark. French Roast, Expresso Roast, etc. Grind them for each brew, and use a cone filter.

We do not freeze the beans. We keep them in their airtight packet.

We prefer stronger, European style coffees. If we brew a pot, ie 4 cups, it does not sit around for very long.

Back
Top Bottom