DQOTD: T-Bills vs Cash Savings?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
With interest on cash accounts around 2% and interest on T-Bills around 4%, I can't think of any good reason to hold much cash at the moment.
  • T-Bills are almost as risk free as cash savings. So almost a wash in terms of safety.
  • T-Bills sacrifice a little liquidity - if you want to realize the face value interest.
  • T-Bills aren't subject to state or local income taxes, cash savings interest is. Both are subject to Fed taxes, might as well earn more interest with T-Bills.
  • T-Bills can be bought with no transactions costs many places.
What am I missing (am I the last to catch on)?

You are missing nothing. You are not last to catch on. Most of the population still has their cash languishing in accounts under 1%. We haven't seen conditions like this in over a generation, so it is out of mind. Welcome to the party. It still isn't too late.

It won't last forever either.

With interest on cash accounts around 2% and interest on T-Bills around 4%, I can't think of any good reason to hold much cash at the moment.
  • T-Bills are almost as risk free as cash savings. So almost a wash in terms of safety.
  • T-Bills sacrifice a little liquidity - if you want to realize the face value interest.
  • T-Bills aren't subject to state or local income taxes, cash savings interest is. Both are subject to Fed taxes, might as well earn more interest with T-Bills.
  • T-Bills can be bought with no transactions costs many places.
What am I missing (am I the last to catch on)?
Sounds good to me and you can always stick with the very short term ones if you need cash soon.

We went through some of this in 2016-2018 when Fed was raising rates albeit at a much slower pace than now. CDs eventually caught up and surpassed treasuries, including no-penalty CDs.

FWIW I consider very short-term treasuries same as cash - safe and highly liquid. Short CDs too.

Last edited:
Although I wanted to keep a large cash cushion, I went into a frenzy of buying short term T bills for those reasons. (I am in NY and state tax is a factor for me.)

You are far from the last to catch on. I’ve been doing the same with 6-months of cash set up in a ladder with 1-month intervals. It’s a little more work when funds are left over, but it is worth it.

You are far from the last to catch on. I’ve been doing the same with 6-months of cash set up in a ladder with 1-month intervals. It’s a little more work when funds are left over, but it is worth it.
I also have a T-bill or CD maturing monthly for the next 12 months. As one matures, I roll it into a new one, taking advantage of the rising rates along the way and boosting the return for our cash reserve.

Marcus savings account rate was just raised to 2.5% but I certainly wouldn't denigrate buying T-bills.

Marcus savings account rate was just raised to 2.5% but I certainly wouldn't denigrate buying T-bills.
Ally seems to trail some, but they're up to 2.35% at present. But I'm moving a large chunk of cash into T-Bills at over 4%.

They are very liquid too. I sold $50K for the Ally bonus deal, it cleared the next day.

Ally seems to trail some, but they're up to 2.35% at present. But I'm moving a large chunk of cash into T-Bills at over 4%.
It's really a no-brainer right now when you can get 3.7% on 1-month bills and over 4% for 3 months or longer. Leave an emergency fund in cash and put the rest in short term T bills or brokered CDs. Enjoy it while it lasts.

T-bills are actually safer than cash in the bank. If the Federal Government ever defaults on t-bills, paper money will have no value.

You are missing nothing. You are not last to catch on. Most of the population still has their cash languishing in accounts under 1%. We haven't seen conditions like this in over a generation, so it is out of mind. Welcome to the party. It still isn't too late.

It won't last forever either.

Dito!

It's really a no-brainer right now when you can get 3.7% on 1-month bills and over 4% for 3 months or longer. Leave an emergency fund in cash and put the rest in short term T bills or brokered CDs. Enjoy it while it lasts.
What a difference a year makes. While it won’t last forever, I don’t see us going back to Oct 2021 and the years before anytime soon. I dumped all our bond funds in July and now I’m converting a lot of cash too.

Attachments

• E39460B6-07DA-4D0F-86D9-BBB88E3970DD.jpeg
    E39460B6-07DA-4D0F-86D9-BBB88E3970DD.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 7DBF7E02-B242-431E-809A-8A24BBC4C758.jpeg
    7DBF7E02-B242-431E-809A-8A24BBC4C758.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The only disadvantage of treasuries I can think of is that if you unexpectedly need the funds before maturity, you may need to sell at a loss.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom