Duration

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
From time to time I forget exactly what duration is, even though I know that is an important thing to follow regarding my FI allocation. This is a pretty good article on the subject. The higher the duration, the more interest rate risk.

The statistic used to measure this time-weighted interest rate risk is called “duration.” A higher time-weighted average—a higher duration—means more interest rate risk, and clearly it’ll take longer for you to get paid for a 10-year bond than for a five-year bond.
While duration can be calculated and expressed in different ways, at its core, it conveys the interest rate risk in a bond or a fixed income portfolio. Duration is literally an estimate of the change in a bond’s value in response to an overall change in interest rates.
https://www.etf.com/publications/et...tm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weeklynewsletter

Matching duration to the timeline for needing the money is often touted as a way to form a fixed income portfolio. Being retired may keep a person from investing directly in 30 year bonds due to timing for needing the money. Intermediate bonds are supposed to be the sweet spot for a balance of risk and return. YMMV.

duration isn't a statistic, it's a fluid measurement regarding a fixed income investment's change in price due to a 100 basis point change in discount rate

duration changes as interest rates change - generally duration is higher the lower the discount rate - that's called convexity

but yes, the higher the duration the higher the interest rate risk - even "stable value funds" have duration

duration can be thought of as the weighted average time to maturithy of the FI investment; for example, zero coupon bonds have a duration equal to the payment period

my guess is that if we ever have an interest rate spike, everyone will become familiar with duration, even those with stable value funds

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom