early retirement penalties

mikel675

Confused about dryer sheets
i retired early at age 62 (3 years ago). i have continued to work each year earning the max allowed. this past year, 2021, i earned $45,000 (as a respiratory therapist during covid i was able to work significantly more at a higher rate of pay). i do understand that i will be penalized by SS because "they paid me too much for 2021" and I will have reduced benefits in 2022 as a result. my current financial plan this year will probably gross somewhere around $100,000 (covid pay). my FRA is Jan 2023. my basic understanding is that once i reach FRA, my income is no longer capped by the government. my question is this - what effect will the $100,000 additional income from 2022 have on my SS benefits in 2023? will it count against my 2023 benefits since i earned it in 2022? any insight is greatly appreciated.

Not an expert on SS, but my question is why did you apply for SS and continue to work?
If you plan on earning $100,000 this year, I would not be taking SS.

IIRC, any holdback of SS benefits in prior years is eventually paid to you, but not sure of other details.

Not an expert on SS, but my question is why did you apply for SS and continue to work?
If you plan on earning $100,000 this year, I would not be taking SS.

why not retire at 62, draw ss and continue to work some. gross was about $40K doing that. my wife recently had surgery and we owed $8,000 (Obama care ins) so i went back to work fulltime to pay all the medical bills. she needs another surgery this year (another $8,000 out of pocket) so I jumped at the opportunity to make some covid $$ and pay them off as well as store up some nuts for the winter financial months to come. I will not qualify for SS this year due to my gross income last year.

Back
Top Bottom