El Salvador?

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I may have an opportunity to join my son and family for a beach vacation in El Salvador.

Any concerns here as far as personal safety? I mean above and beyond what we always face when we travel, or go to the mall?

Last edited:
I may have an opportunity to join my son and family for a beach vacation in El Salvador.

Any concerns here as far as personal safety? I mean above and beyond what we always face when we travel, or go to the mall?

LOL. People are running away from there to get to the USA. That is where the caravans originate.

Be sure to leave a good note on what to do with your assets if you do not make it back.

There are far too many places right here in the USA to see. I like to spend my money here.

How long has it been since you've heard of tourists visiting Nicaragua? San Salvador's right there with them for instability.

No thanks!

Ugh ...

You have me convinced, now I have to convince my son.

I went there a lot from 2009-2012 courtesy of our Uncle Sam. Beaches are beautiful, surfing is great. People are friendly. BUT, the crime issues are real, and MS-13 is no joke. I wouldn't take my family there.

We've plans to be in Guatamala in January so I looked at the .gov advisories on the site you kindly linked. Still kinda puzzled, but traveling anyway. Here's the color coded list for their travel map:

Travel Advisory Levels
Do Not Travel
Exercise Increased Caution
Exercise Increased Caution - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk
Exercise Normal Precaution
Exercise Normal Precautions - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk
Reconsider Travel
Reconsider Travel - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk

Color me confused - on top is Do Not Travel, with a red color. Ok, that's scary and bad, so it gets better as you go down the list? Nope. Exercise Normal Precaution is in the middle and Reconsider Travel is almost on the bottom.

Is "Exercise Increased Caution" scarier than "Exercise Increased Caution - Contains Areas With Higher Security Risk"? Or is that mostly safe with random spots of thugishness and killing?

Gal notes that the explanation is the .gov suffix, but she's a cynic and I want to believe there is reason in the world.

We have not been there. But, we have been to Costa Rica several times. Enjoyed it very much. Always felt safe. Same for Panama.

We've plans to be in Guatamala in January so I looked at the .gov advisories on the site you kindly linked. Still kinda puzzled, but traveling anyway. Here's the color coded list for their travel map:

Travel Advisory Levels
Do Not Travel
Exercise Increased Caution
Exercise Increased Caution - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk
Exercise Normal Precaution
Exercise Normal Precautions - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk
Reconsider Travel
Reconsider Travel - Contains Areas with Higher Security Risk

Color me confused - on top is Do Not Travel, with a red color. Ok, that's scary and bad, so it gets better as you go down the list? Nope. Exercise Normal Precaution is in the middle and Reconsider Travel is almost on the bottom.

Is "Exercise Increased Caution" scarier than "Exercise Increased Caution - Contains Areas With Higher Security Risk"? Or is that mostly safe with random spots of thugishness and killing?

Gal notes that the explanation is the .gov suffix, but she's a cynic and I want to believe there is reason in the world.

They are in alphabetical order.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom