Estate Planning Question

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
I've moved to a small town and have spoken around and learned that the local attorneys here are not well respected.
I need to update my will and trust. I don't think I need to stay in this county to do that? I can go to any larger city as long as it's in the same state, right?
Estate law is established at the state level?

And as long as I am on the topic, CNBC Squawk Box is always interrupted with ads for www.trustandwill.com

Are they really a viable alternative? There has to be a downside and upside is only lower cost?

Estate law is mostly at the state level, although there are federal laws as well of course. I've never heard of any local variations, so I would feel comfortable going to any good attorney in my state.

Trust and Will is probably a viable alternative for basic wills. If you have anything complex, they probably max out at a certain level. If your 30 years old and have a 401(k) with beneficiaries and just need to name someone as guardian for your four year old, it probably works. If you want spendthrift provisions or a pourover will or want to establish an endowed scholarship at your local college, then they probably don't go that far.

IMO the value of an attorney isn't so much the preparation of documents as it is helping you develop a plan that ultimately determines what documents you need. I am not trained in state and federal estate laws so I prefer not to DIY. Same with surgery.

Yes, generally by state.

Some of us use Nolo Willmaker software. Some will advise not to. If the will is a basic to mildly complicated and the named executor is a trusted individual, I can recommend it. It does go thru most of the questions you will need to answer in a plain manner. It is legal in all states and specific to your state.

I use it for a fairly complicated beneficiary list.

Back
Top Bottom