Experian is both frozen *and* not frozen...

dixonge

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am in Experian hell.

In March I got an AmEx Platinum card. Before I applied I attempted to unfreeze my credit at all three bureaus. None of them showed that my credit was frozen. So maybe I already unfroze it all, or maybe I only froze it temporarily? Not sure any more. But the application went through automatically and successfully, so I didn't worry about it.

Evidently AmEx doesn't use Experian though...

Yesterday I tried a couple of different card applications. Capital One just gave the standard "we'll be in touch" response, so I tried Chase Sapphire Preferred. Got an error that wasn't particularly explanatory, but a follow-up call confirmed that they were using Experian which was reporting my credit was frozen or locked.

Tried accessing Experian online and was met with repeated error messages that literally said just this one thing:

"Oops, we're sorry"

No other details. So I called them and could not get past the automated system. One option on the menu was to FREEZE the account. So this indicated that the account was not frozen? When I finally chose "Yes, I want to freeze my account" I was forwarded to a different number (presumably to talk to a live person) but their hours are only M-F 9-5.

Oddly enough, same issue w/ wife's account at Experian.

My Chase account includes 'Credit Journey' with information supplied by Experian. Using that I can see that the address information I was using matches what they have on file.

So it seems like my account is responding as 'frozen' when a lender makes an inquiry, but responds as 'not frozen' on their internal system when *I* make an inquiry. So, Monday morning it is.

:mad::mad::mad:

I've read enough of these threads to determine, for me, the risk of staying unfrozen is worth it, vs. the hassles when you actually need your credit to be accessed.

I monitor instead. I'll know via a notification if someone does an inquiry or opens an account. Quick enough to mitigate any real damage, if/when that happens. And it might not ever! But the hassle you have now is very real and seems to happen too often.

Hmmmm, interesting.
I have had no problem freezing and unfreezing our credit accounts. I have done it both ways, online and by phone.

It would indeed be frustrating. I am sorry you are experiencing this.

Hmmmm, interesting.
I have had no problem freezing and unfreezing our credit accounts. I have done it both ways, online and by phone.

Same here. I use the Experian app and can easily lock or unlock my credit.

Save all your logins and passwords diligently and freezing, unfreezing isn’t that hard to do online.

To the OP are you confusing Experian with Equifax? I did that once and it was not fun. Equifax’s unlocking website is actually called lockandalert.equifax.

Last edited:
I've had no issues freezing and temporairly unfreezing them for X amount of time so they auto-refreeze.

Of course I have carefully saved my username,password,pin for each one. Written down.

I do notice for some, they try to trick people into locking or putting a hold on their report. I'm guessing because then, they can still make money off my report, and they make less money when it's frozen.

I do notice for some, they try to trick people into locking or putting a hold on their report. I'm guessing because then, they can still make money off my report, and they make less money when it's frozen.

Sorry, I guess I don't follow this? Make money?

Hmmmm, interesting.

I recently froze my credit accounts with the big 3 after dealing with
credit card fraud. At this moment I have no complaints other than Experian sends me junk emails almost everyday.

I've had no issues freezing and temporairly unfreezing them for X amount of time so they auto-refreeze.

Of course I have carefully saved my username,password,pin for each one. Written down.

Well, yeah, I was very careful about that, too, and the first time i tried to unlock one of them (may be Equifax) they put me through the wringer- wanted me to snail-mail copies of my driver's license and birth certificate to prove my identity. Great, more stuff they can lose in a breach. It made me VERY reluctant to apply for any new cards. The process seems to have gotten better- no hassle with the last two. Applied for the cards, was told which vendor they used, un-froze, got approved, froze again.

Save all your logins and passwords diligently and freezing, unfreezing isn’t that hard to do online.

To the OP are you confusing Experian with Equifax? I did that once and it was not fun. Equifax’s unlocking website is actually called lockandalert.equifax.

No, I am absolutely not confusing those two.

I save all passwords w/ 1Password app. I am former I.T. so generally more familiar w/ this than most.

Freezing in the first place was easy (as I remember it). My account is stuck in some sort of limbo state. When I log in and attempt to get my credit report I get this (note the Experian logo):

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46530&stc=1&d=1689595881

Attachments

• Experian-oops-sorry.png
    Experian-oops-sorry.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 21
You need to call them. I ran in to the same issue. Their system needs improvement, a real PIA.

I haven't had any issues with Experian. Now, Equifax, that's a whole different story.

At least now I can control all three online. With Equifax, I'm only as far as using their credit lock/unlock. Not as tight as a freeze, unfreeze but will do.

Well today their automated system said my account was frozen, and walked me through some voice prompts to unfreeze and unfreeze permanently, then asked for my PIN #. It then transferred me to a queue where after two rings I got silence then after 90 seconds the line disconnected. Repeated all of these steps a second time.

On my 3rd call I tried a different number and some other options then went back to the main menu where I was told my account was *not* frozen. OK, cool, so maybe it worked this last time?

Called original number again, which asked me if I wanted to unfreeze my account. Went through the steps, again, and this time someone actually answered and removed the freeze permanently.

Called Chase again (whose customer service line is a joy to deal with in comparison) and after the credit pull went through just fine...

Well today their automated system said my account was frozen, and walked me through some voice prompts to unfreeze and unfreeze permanently, then asked for my PIN #. It then transferred me to a queue where after two rings I got silence then after 90 seconds the line disconnected. Repeated all of these steps a second time.

On my 3rd call I tried a different number and some other options then went back to the main menu where I was told my account was *not* frozen. OK, cool, so maybe it worked this last time?

Called original number again, which asked me if I wanted to unfreeze my account. Went through the steps, again, and this time someone actually answered and removed the freeze permanently.

Called Chase again (whose customer service line is a joy to deal with in comparison) and after the credit pull went through just fine...

Too bad you permanently removed the freeze, I prefer to temporarily remove it for 24 hours. That way I don't have to do anything to freeze it again.

I've had all three credit bureaus frozen for over 15 years.
Only had to thaw it when switching to Iphone 3 at ATT years ago thawing it once for 24 hours.
I have two credit cards,completely debt free, and pay cash for everything so never needed to thaw in over 15 years so far.
Keep the codes in my safe.

Every year or so I pull a free credit report and it shows that it is a frozen account at the top.

I've read enough of these threads to determine, for me, the risk of staying unfrozen is worth it, vs. the hassles when you actually need your credit to be accessed.

I monitor instead. I'll know via a notification if someone does an inquiry or opens an account. Quick enough to mitigate any real damage, if/when that happens. And it might not ever! But the hassle you have now is very real and seems to happen too often.

Too bad you permanently removed the freeze, I prefer to temporarily remove it for 24 hours. That way I don't have to do anything to freeze it again.

So, damned if I do, damned if I don't? :(

Given our new strategy of maximizing reward points/miles through credit card sign-up bonuses, I think keeping everything open is a better option. Like Aerides mentioned I've got credit monitoring turned on (free through Chase) so unless I get hit with a wave of ID theft attempts I think that will do it for now.

So, damned if I do, damned if I don't? :(

Given our new strategy of maximizing reward points/miles through credit card sign-up bonuses, I think keeping everything open is a better option. Like Aerides mentioned I've got credit monitoring turned on (free through Chase) so unless I get hit with a wave of ID theft attempts I think that will do it for now.

I have it with Credit Karma, and Capitalone, so I figure if one of them lags, the other will get me. In the past, I get an email within hours of any new inquiry, ditto when the accounts get officially opened.

Experian needed to be unfrozen today, as I was getting a new internet supplier.

I noticed there is No place on their menu for Freeze/Unfreeze. They hid it.
I picked the Unlock menu item, and sure enough, when I scrolled to the very bottom, there was the link to manage freeze !!

I have to admit, once I found where it was it was easy, I just selected temp thaw, and it popped out a calendar to pick dates, and then did it immediately and confirmed on the web page (not email).

Experian needed to be unfrozen today, as I was getting a new internet supplier.

I noticed there is No place on their menu for Freeze/Unfreeze. They hid it.
I picked the Unlock menu item, and sure enough, when I scrolled to the very bottom, there was the link to manage freeze !!

I have to admit, once I found where it was it was easy, I just selected temp thaw, and it popped out a calendar to pick dates, and then did it immediately and confirmed on the web page (not email).

Thanks good to know.

Back
Top Bottom