Explaining ER to people and looked down

I told my parents about my plan to retire in the next 5-7 years (I just turned 51) and they poo poo'd the idea. They are in their early to mid 70's and still work part time even though they don't need the money. Their careers give them purpose and their identify so it is hard for them to let go and can't understand just calling it quits. They basically do their jobs for free at this point because they enjoy it.

However, neither of them had a corporate job like me. They live in a smaller community where people know them by what they do. My town is full of similar corporate stiffs like me. There is no prestige to it. It's just a job and while I am fortunate to work with great people, I would really prefer to not be beholden to answering e-mails all day. There is no way I would do this job for free.

Some people just won't get it.

anothrcog,

you should congratulate your parents, tell then I m happy for them because they're doing what they want to do. Then let them know that you want to do what you want to do is retire in 5-7... And do it.

My folks were life long union workers with a steady pension and benefits and they couldn't wrap their heads around my changing jobs (this was years ago). It took some explaining, but eventually they just had to deal with it.

I told my parents about my plan to retire in the next 5-7 years (I just turned 51) and they poo poo'd the idea. They are in their early to mid 70's and still work part time even though they don't need the money. Their careers give them purpose and their identify so it is hard for them to let go and can't understand just calling it quits. They basically do their jobs for free at this point because they enjoy it.

However, neither of them had a corporate job like me. They live in a smaller community where people know them by what they do. My town is full of similar corporate stiffs like me. There is no prestige to it. It's just a job and while I am fortunate to work with great people, I would really prefer to not be beholden to answering e-mails all day. There is no way I would do this job for free.

Some people just won't get it.

I'm going to suggest that your parents probably are working at a job that allows them some control of their time, and gives them a lot of the personal rewards people enjoy in life along with a paycheck. My father was like that. If he wanted to meet Joe for a long lunch on Tuesday, he could usually work it out. Golf late Friday afternoon? He could usually find a way to squeeze that in.

My work experiences were the opposite. Mon-Fri 7:30-5:00 (and often later) were owned by the employers. And often the employer laid claim to my weekend, holiday and even vacation time. Not so good.

I was hanging out with my dad a few weeks ago and we got to discussing investments. He was really proud that him and my stepmom have finally reached $1 million in retirement savings (He is 72 now and retired at 55). They have always lived beneath their means and have worked hard to grow their investments. I'm really happy for them and it's great to see their hard work payoff.

He also knows that I have been working hard to become FIRE for awhile now. So once he told me his number, I let him know that I was ~$900K in investments and over a million with my home. I could see that he was very happy for me and proud as well. I told him I wanted to beat his retirement age by a few years. So far, I'm on track!!

Back
Top Bottom