EyeMed Vision Care Insurance

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Folks here have experiences with EyeMed Vision Care Insurance you can share? Mainly, does it cover more than just the basics?

I've been a VSP (not exactly sure what the abbreviations stand for) member. Premium is about $150/year. For glasses, I get the works (new frame, transition lenses, high index, coating...). Before insurance is about $1000. After about $500.

But starting this year, my eye doc takes EyeMed which is (should be) included in my BCBS health insurance. So, I don't want to over pay for double vision premium coverage. But hope I don't save the $150 in premiums but pay extra $$ for stuff not covered.

VSP= Vision Service Plan
As for what it covers, you should call the insurance carrier and ask....they probably have more than one plan. Also make sure your doctor is a preferred provider. He may take Eyemed (which is owned by Luxottica and generally tries to steer you to the companies they own, such as Lenscrafters) but if he is not an Eyemed provider, you will receive reduced benefits.

Last edited:
Yes, my doc is an Eyemed provider. Which is why I decided to drop VSP.

We use an Eyemed provider which gets us the eye exam for $40 but we get our glasses from Zenni.com for less than $200 with all the options you mention.

I've been a VSP (not exactly sure what the abbreviations stand for) member. Premium is about $150/year. For glasses, I get the works (new frame, transition lenses, high index, coating...). Before insurance is about $1000. After about $500.
I used to pay like $600-700 for those type glasses, but now get at Costco for under $200.

I used to pay like $600-700 for those type glasses, but now get at Costco for under $200.

I was about to make the same recommendation. I've used places like LensCrafters when I had an employer-provided vision care benefit and they nickel and dime you for every feature (progressive lenses, special protective coatings, etc.) I once had a surcharge because the lenses were small so it was more complicated to make them progressive! Then they show you some giant "discount" because of your vision plan but the bottom line is still crazy expensive. The last time I used them was when I needed to blow through money left in a "use-it-or-lose-it" flexible spending account at a job I was about to leave. Money was no object!

Do you have to be a Costco member to buy glasses at Costco?

Yes. You can have an exam there without membership since the Optometrists are independent, but to buy contacts or glasses you need to be a member.

Yes. You can have an exam there without membership since the Optometrists are independent, but to buy contacts or glasses you need to be a member.

If you don't have Costco access via someone who's already a member, it might be worth considering joining Costco ($60) to save $400-500 on a pair of glasses. I hear that their hearing aids are also better-priced.

OR, alternatively, once you have your Rx in hand, simply order glasses online from Goggles4u.com, Zennioptical.com or one of the other large online optical sites to get your glasses for even less ($10 - $200).

omni

Last edited:
I've had EyeMed for a couple of years and the plan I have is so good that the staff at the optometrist's office couldn't believe it. It pays nearly the full price of my year's supply of contacts after the rebate coupon they always seem to have. But they do offer several different plans so follow the advice above to look at the details of what you're getting.

If you don't have Costco access via someone who's already a member,
it might be worth considering joining Costco ($60) to save $400-500 on a pair of glasses. I hear that their hearing aids are also better-priced.

OR, alternatively, once you have your Rx in hand, simply order glasses online from Goggles4u.com, Zennioptical.com or one of the other large online optical sites to get your glasses for even less ($10 - $200).

omni
This. With a little careful shopping, glasses are getting quite cheap. The days of $500 glasses are numbered, as are the days of the optician shops that rely on huge margins for survival.

In addition to the Chinese option, there are shops in the US that have adapted to the new reality. JEM Optical is one I have used in the past. LensesRX is another.

I've had EyeMed for a couple of years and the plan I have is so good that the staff at the optometrist's office couldn't believe it. It pays nearly the full price of my year's supply of contacts after the rebate coupon they always seem to have. But they do offer several different plans so follow the advice above to look at the details of what you're getting.

Based on your positive comment, I checked their site and EyeMed does offer individual policies, depending on your state of residence. The least expensive plan is $5/mo, with others at $17.50/mo and $30/mo (an added 5% discount for paying annually)

Below is a screenshot of what they offer...and at 44,000 in-network locations.

The least expensive plan might make sense for me. I'll have to research what I paid for my last eye exam in August and what the optician was going to charge me for gas-permeable contact lenses.

In true LBYM fashion, I declined their offer to order new lenses (I seem to recall they said $120/per lens). They were a bit upset, stating that everyone goes to Costco and gets them for ~$79. I said, "No, I'll go through my stash of old lenses (which I've been ordering online, as needed, for $32/ea.)" I found both lenses that I needed for my new Rx...so I saved quite a bit. FWIW, for the past 5-10 years, my vision correction seems to fluctuate 0.25 or 0.5 diopters, sometimes better, sometimes worse, so I hang onto my old lenses figuring I might be wearing them again someday .

omni

Attachments

• EyeMed.JPG
    EyeMed.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 11
We use an Eyemed provider which gets us the eye exam for $40 but we get our glasses from Zenni.com for less than $200 with all the options you mention.

Interesting. My Opthamologist charges me $40 for my annual eye exam with no vision insurance. I never seem to get a deal on anything. Maybe this time I am?

Both DW and I have had good success taking our prescriptions to the local Walmart vision center. DW just got two pairs with new frames, transition lenses, coatings, etc., for under $400. The gal that did the fitting and adjustment seemed quite competent and DW is pleased.

Last edited:
Thanks for the discussion. But looks like I spoke too soon. Decided to go back to VSP as my next year's health insurance won't have EyeMed and an included feature. I shouldn't have jumped the gun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom