Failure to exercise in-the-money option

I love weekly options, if the stock has it. When a stock only has monthly options, oh man, that feels like eternity.

Of course, some of the more stable stocks have options with premiums down to earth with weekly options, and that's not worthwhile. I don't bother to do options on them, or if I do, I go out to 2 or 3 weeks.

What I have found is selling options 4 times a month is frequently more lucrative than selling it monthly, even though the premium is of course smaller.

Of course it also depends on the stock. Some stocks do not move much in a month, but the more volatile stocks move plenty in a week. And when things go banana like with the Gamestonk silly thing, everything went crazy! You never know when a silly Tweet is issued.

Yeah, it can get nuts like with GME. I stay with conservative stocks like T and VZ plus GM and others where the volatility is pretty well defined over a given period. I'm just doing this to make some cash to offset some of my RMD pulls in my IRA and not have to worry about paying taxes on each option win.

Yeah, it can get nuts like with GME. I stay with conservative stocks like T and VZ plus GM and others where the volatility is pretty well defined over a given period. I'm just doing this to make some cash to offset some of my RMD pulls in my IRA and not have to worry about paying taxes on each option win.

I only sell options on our IRA accounts. It's not just the tax, but with thousands of transactions a year, I hate to see how long my tax return would be.

It's good that we both have 7-figure IRA accounts to hold plenty of "stuff" to trade. My taxable accounts are buy-and-hold.

Last edited:
I only sell options on our IRA accounts. It's not just the tax, but with thousands of transactions a year, I hate to see how long my tax return would be.

It's good that we both have 7-figure IRA accounts to hold plenty of "stuff" to trade. My taxable accounts are buy-and-hold.

I don't do that many transactions, but most of my funds are in an IRA where I trade options and play with preferred stocks and a few regular equities. In my taxable accounts, I just hold mutual funds and don't trade. However, at 77, my RMDs are exhausting the IRA and I am converting to a Roth each year.

Back
Top Bottom