Favorite non-alcoholic smoothie blend?

Fireup, where do you find the coconut water? Surely, you don't crack open a coconut everytime you make a smoothie, do you? I have looked and looked at supermarkets and health food stores (granted we have a pretty poor selection down here) and I can't find it anywhere...

Fireup, where do you find the coconut water? Surely, you don't crack open a coconut everytime you make a smoothie, do you? I have looked and looked at supermarkets and health food stores (granted we have a pretty poor selection down here) and I can't find it anywhere...

I prefer VitaCoco (Vita Coco | 100% Natural Coconut Water) Last year I was eating primarily raw foods, and this stuff is only processed at 120 degrees (almost considered "raw" by the raw foodie gurus) I purchase a case at a time (12 or 24 "boxes" at a time) from either a health food store or Whole Foods - cheaper by the case! Always ask for a case discount :)

Of couse, sometimes I do bust open a baby Thai coconut which is even better! (usually just drink it straight from there!) These can be found at some health food stores or Asian markets, and are cut with a pointy end on top - white in color, wrapped in plastic wrap. I won't pay more than $1.75 each.

I've been refining my smoothie recipe, and here's the best so far:

4 oz water
4 oz 2% milk
3 tbs Kirkland organic peanut butter
1 scoop GNC chocolate-caramel 100% whey powder
1 tsp powdered psyllium husks (not Metamucil)
2 Kirkland frozen strawberries

I've now tried the following protein powders: gnc chocolate, gnc chocolate-caramel, EAS vanilla, Designer strawberry, Designer vanilla. The chocolate-caramel is by far the best.

I use the Kirkland organic peanut butter not because it is organic, but because it doesn't have added sugar. I've been a Skippy superchunk fan for 30 years, but this organic stuff tastes much better. Once you switch you won't go back, even with the bother of needing to keep it in the fridge.

For the unflavored Metamucil, the first ingredient is sugar -- that's why I've switched to the pure psyllium husks (about the same price).

In the Valley, we are able to get Goya frozen fruit puree (no sugar added) in Mango, Guava and Passionfruit. They all make great smoothies. We usually mix in frozen bananas, some kind of tropical fruit juice and yogurt/buttermilk.

Sometimes we find Guanabana (soursop) puree - that makes an awesome smoothie!

Audrey

I have been resisting, but here is my recipe for smoothie base. You can add any frozen or fresh fruits as desired.

1 banana
1/2 cup plain yogurt. I use only White Mountain brand made from whole milk. Seriously, try it. Available at Whole Foods.
1/2 cup orange juice
1 scoop whey protein powder (better texture and froths better than soy)
4-5 ice cubes

I've been making green smoothies for my lunch lately. I don't have a recipe but just buy any green leafy veggie that looks nice and fresh at the store. Yesterday was mustard greens. I really like parsley as one of the greens. It gives the smoothie a nice fresh taste. I always start with cold water and the greens and liquify that first. I usually add half a frozen banana and about a half cup of Greek style yogurt. I add whatever I have on hand. Could be berries, oranges, pineapple,etc. Yesterday I happened to have a papaya on hand. I really don't care what I end up with as long as I get some good nutrients down the hatch.

Sometimes we find Guanabana (soursop) puree - that makes an awesome smoothie!
Thanks for the tip. We get a lot of Goya stuff here and I bet I can find it at my regular grocery store. If not, I'll hit the nearest Fiesta store. I prefer fresh fruit in smoothies, but it's a pain to keep around and use it all before it goes bad. Frozen is much less a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom