Fed tax rate doesn't add up

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
I had my taxes done by a cpa. And I ran a cross check through Taxcaster.

Neither match what I calculate for tax using IRS rules

Married filing jointly - did a roth conversion - ended up with a taxable income of $127,251

IRS says tax is:

10% of first $19050
$1905 + 12% over $19050
$8907 + 22% over $77400
$28179 + 24% over $165000
etc

I do the math and come up with a tax of $19874
Taxcaster has tax at $19354
CPA has tax at $19408

So cpa and Taxcaster are close - within about $50, but math from the IRS rules comes in about $500 more.

I know it's early am, but I've calculated this a dozen times and can't figure out why the difference.

Why is there such a difference?

The IRS calc you used is applicable if all of your taxable income is earnings that were reported on a W-2.

If some of your income was Social Security, Qualified Dividends or Long Term Capital Gains, the math is more complex.

Not all of it is ordinary income? Capital gains and qualified divs are taxed at a different rate. Check the worksheet for those. That's where my tax is always calculated from.

You probably had capital gains and/or qualified dividends. If that is the case, then your taxes are figured based on a capital gains/dividends worksheet in the instructions, not the tax table.

The worksheet will also produce a lower tax than the table.

Assuming you paid the CPA to do your taxes, I would ask why the amount is $466 lower than when you calculate tax using IRS formula. That's if your 100% sure your calcs and assumptions are correct.

If you push this through TurboTax, you might come up with a fourth number.

Did you have any Foreign Tax Credits in your after tax account? REITS in an after tax mutual fund will also trigger the new Qualified Business Income deduction.

MFJ, both over 65, $127,251 taxable income, Turbotax says $19,874 tax.

QBI (my best guess)

Thanks all - I really had a brain cramp.

Some of the income is dividends. Dividends are entered separately than ordinary income in Taxcaster - and that is why it matches what the cpa got.

I can't believe I didn't figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom