FEMA after FIRE

dcoy

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi,

I am exploring part time jobs post FIRE (within 5 years) and becoming a FEMA reservist has peaked my interest. It is an on call part time position, but FEMA does provide medical insurance. I like the fact that it is part time, medical is provided and you are actually helping people when disaster strikes. Has or is any on this Forum a FEMA reservist and can you provide more information about the experience?

thanks!

I can't help much but I know of two people who worked for FEMA after retiring from federal service. Both are away from home for several months each year, mostly during the summer. That wouldn't be bad if you lived in the south or southwest. One retired from a management position with the US Forest Service and her FEMA position is rather bureaucratic, preparing planning documents and such. They have been doing this for several years so assume they are okay with it.

I am more familiar with two co-workers who volunteered for details with FEMA following Katrina. They did not enjoy the experience and had some sad stories to tell but it was a difficult time for all.

I wish you well working FEMA. I dealt with FEMA agents many times through the years. My take on the job would be a stressful on the road job. A lot of paper work and rules and regulations to learn.

If you like being on the road and seeing different parts of the US it would be fine. I personally wouldn't want the hassle with a very demanding job late in my working years. Good luck

dcoy, I worked for them for a bit as a temporary local hire in Austin back in the fall as a public assistance damage inspector. I worked with several reservists from all over the country who seemed professional, yet stressed. Definitely a type A personality type job (which I am not).The four month gig could be much longer, maybe two years for those still there in the position I held. It was not a good fit for me, and I did resign. My boss was very understanding and appreciated my candor. I’m not knocking the agency as they are doing the best they can despite such a huge challenge they are going through. The joint field office reminds me of an ant pile after it is kicked over. I suppose after 28 years in the fire service, I’m done with the neeed for the adrenaline rush.

Strange as it sounds, and though I was proud to work for them (and the money was very good), I seemed to get more enjoyment and satisfaction from volunteering with Red Cross doing two disaster assessment deployments during hurricane Harvey.

All this being said, I would say go for it! If it is a good fit for you, great, if not, there’s always better fitting shoes!

I’ve never worked for FEMA but did volunteer for Red Cross & deployed to the USVI after Irma & Maria. My concern about FEMA is that they seem to move very slowly and therefore people get quite fed up waiting for help. If you’re a person who likes to see things get done quickly and efficiently, I’m guessing FEMA might be too frustrating.

I know FEMA does eventually provide a lot of help so I suppose being part of that could be gratifying if you can handle the pace.

One of my co-workers began working for FEMA after Harvey. (She's a part-time airline reservations rep like me so she can fit her FEMA job around it.) She meets with people whose homes were damaged & files reports & the pay is $26 an hour. That's about all I know but I can ask more about it if you have some specific questions just post them here. She's a very sweet & patient person so I like the thought of her being the one to deal with people in a tough situation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom