Finally, a site that celebrates FIRE!

RetiredAndFree

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been searching for a site where I don't have to under-represent our FIRE status in order to avoid 'haters.' Most sites seem to focus on how to get to FIRE, not what to do once you arrive. An entirely different set of issues IMHO.

Retired two years ago at 49 and 55, and have been living comfortably ever since, though we've deployed a lot of frugality habits to ensure our money does indeed outlast us rather than vice versa. Our lives are currently divided between travel (5 months of the year), ongoing education (5 months of the year), and social, family and sporting activities (the remaining two months).

Our biggest challenges these days, truly, is maintaining a high enough energy level to do everything we want to do.

Looking forward to exploring this site in detail, particularly the photographers thread. :greetings10:

Welcome. I just FIRE'd at 49 myself and looking forward to my 2 year anniversary. Enjoy the site; lots of great information/folks here.

Welcome! I think you'll find us a friendly bunch so jump on in!

We are both turning 60 in December and will FIRE the end of the year! I am a little nervous but totally excited about the opportunities! I look forward to learning more from this site! Thanks for the positive encouragement!

Welcome. I just FIRE'd at 49 myself and looking forward to my 2 year anniversary. Enjoy the site; lots of great information/folks here.

Can you share your situation? I am 51 and hope to FIRE early 2014.

We are tracking expenses. Living well below our means. Its hard to launch. Thanks. Nomad

I've been searching for a site where I don't have to under-represent our FIRE status in order to avoid 'haters.' Most sites seem to focus on how to get to FIRE, not what to do once you arrive. An entirely different set of issues IMHO.

Retired two years ago at 49 and 55, and have been living comfortably ever since, though we've deployed a lot of frugality habits to ensure our money does indeed outlast us rather than vice versa. Our lives are currently divided between travel (5 months of the year), ongoing education (5 months of the year), and social, family and sporting activities (the remaining two months).

Our biggest challenges these days, truly, is maintaining a high enough energy level to do everything we want to do.

Looking forward to exploring this site in detail, particularly the photographers thread. :greetings10:

Congratulations! ! What are you doing for insurance? Nomad

You're Gonna Love It Here!

Welcome! I think you'll find us a friendly bunch so jump on in!

I felt the same way when I found this site: lots of practical advice, keen insights, camaraderie. Another unexpected benefit: hearing from folks who made similar choices to those DH and I made over the years, such as LBYM. Throughout our 34 years of marriage, we have met far more peers living way beyond their means than those (like DH and me) who spend much of their married life plotting their escape from the rat race.

For example, taking an LBYM vacation meant there was more $ to max out the 401K's. Shopping garage sales and rummage sales (if one could add up all those bargains over the decades) helped me pad the IRA's and RE sooner, which reduced the weekends of my life spent grading essays and research papers. DIY habits provided more $ for the LBYM vacations, etc.

The list goes on............ your new friends here will add far more to the list than I can.

Don't you love ER? (Mine didn't start till 59, and DH 62......but we still feel like we're playing hooky, with so many friends still slaving away.)

Enjoy, and congrats!

:dance:

Can you share your situation? I am 51 and hope to FIRE early 2014.

We are tracking expenses. Living well below our means. Its hard to launch. Thanks. Nomad

Hi Nomad. You can find the specifics on our journey here http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/decision-in-one-month-65344.html. So far it's been great. Well at least till last night's depressing loss to the colts. We made a huge life change on several fronts. RE, 3000 mile relocation, new schools, new friends, etc. It's been a busy launch for us with no regrets.

Good luck...Nano

Congratulations! ! What are you doing for insurance? Nomad

By insurance I presume you mean health insurance, the only one worth talking about these days? :(

Well, we were sitting pretty good up until the 1/1/2014 ACA changes. We researched our options upon entering the individual market in 2011, electing to go with a high deductible medical/vision plan at an HMO. My premiums started at $165 a month, and my husbands at $210. They renewed twice on 1/1 at a modest 3% rate increase.

Due to ACA changes, we just received our 1/1/2014 renewals showing a, gulp, 125% rate increase. We have our annual deductible amounts built into our run rate, and since we have them accrued and haven't used them in two years, we'll allocate that money to the premiums instead. If we need to eventually replace our deductible funds because we need to use them, we have a major item accrual we can use.

By insurance I presume you mean health insurance, the only one worth talking about these days? :(

Well, we were sitting pretty good up until the 1/1/2014 ACA changes. We researched our options upon entering the individual market in 2011, electing to go with a high deductible medical/vision plan at an HMO. My premiums started at $165 a month, and my husbands at $210. They renewed twice on 1/1 at a modest 3% rate increase.

Due to ACA changes, we just received our 1/1/2014 renewals showing a, gulp, 125% rate increase. We have our annual deductible amounts built into our run rate, and since we have them accrued and haven't used them in two years, we'll allocate that money to the premiums instead. If we need to eventually replace our deductible funds because we need to use them, we have a major item accrual we can use.

Thank you. We have been discussing costs with a broker and company representative. Very helpful.

Hi Nomad. You can find the specifics on our journey here http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/decision-in-one-month-65344.html. So far it's been great. Well at least till last night's depressing loss to the colts. We made a huge life change on several fronts. RE, 3000 mile relocation, new schools, new friends, etc. It's been a busy launch for us with no regrets.

Good luck...Nano

Nano-- thank you. Went back and read your post. Congratulations! Sounds like you are good! Very helpful. Nomad

I've been searching for a site where I don't have to under-represent our FIRE status in order to avoid 'haters.' Most sites seem to focus on how to get to FIRE, not what to do once you arrive. An entirely different set of issues IMHO <snip>

:greetings10:

Welcome home.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom