Find lost money (NOT spam!)

Last year, I found $800+ owed to me by a former employer. I followed the claim procedure and received a check in the mail within 2 months.

I went through this process a few years ago on behalf of my parents (although I went to the abandoned property department of various states) and came up with, literally, tens of thousands of dollars, primarily from abandoned bank accounts, pension checks and stocks for which the issuing company had lost track of them.

I learned from their accountant that it's good to keep checking in because assets like that are only reported to the states periodically, so there is often a delay from the time it becomes "abandoned" to when it hits the state's books.

Slow night last night. Surfing the web, scotch in hand; thanks to this thread I checked out some names.

Found my grandad's name (been gone 22 years) with "more than $100" of unclaimed funds...I doubt it's a lot of money, but I filed a claim. We'll see!

Might be nice to take the remaining family out for dinner "on gramps" ...seeing as he'd never do it while alive :cool:

Great thread, thanks. I found 2, > $100. Both institutions I have dealt with, at my correct old address.

Ha

Well, it's 9 months after I started the process and I got my check for $44.34 yesterday! Granted, I live 7 hours from a US post office, so that was responsible for most of the delay. I think the money is the return of a deposit for returning rent-a-cop uniforms. The process was really painless.

I found my husband's long-dead father (we know it was he b/c of the address, which is one where my husband never lived). "More than $100" owed from an insurance co. His (also long dead) mother was his father's executor and there is nothing other than birth certificate to show relationship. Too bad about some of these old claims. Then again, hard to believe there is even a record that old.

Amethyst

I suspect that birth certificates, as well as death certificates can prove the relationship. In addition you could get a copy of the will from the county, and if it lists the relationship it could be useful.

We three siblings each picked up $225.83 a couple weeks ago when my gal found my Mom's name on the unclaimed property list. Had to mail in death certificate copies and trust details to show I was executor, but fairly simple thanks to my gal being very detail and paperwork oriented. Mom died 12/31/2003

My folks had taken out 3 Baby Gerber insurance policies on me in the 1930's. Three or four years ago, found the info on State of Rhode Island records. Accrued cash value about $3500... not too bad. No problem at all getting the cash. Did it all with a phone call and didn't even have to write a letter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom