First ACA Coverage Prescription Cluster

Donno

Recycles dryer sheets
This isn't a complaint, just a general statement/vent about how screwed up something as simple as prescription medicines have become in this country.

I retired from a megacorp last year in June with health insurance coverage just as I had while employed except about $500/mo more expensive. Within 3 months I got a letter stating that the were no longer going to cover retirees after the first of the year which put me on ACA coverage. The thing I was concerned with was I am on a biologic medicine which costs roughly $5000/mo and with my insurance was limited to $200 for every 3 months and with the pharma copay card it was $5/mo.

Fast forward to the first of January and I call my specialty pharmacy and tell them I have new insurance and give them the information on my drug coverage. They state that I'll need to have the medicine approved and it could take a month or longer. My doctor was aware of the change and had given me a sample so I wouldn't miss a dose in case it took forever to get approved like it did initially.

Nothing seemed to happen until it came time to fill my prescription and when I asked for it to be refilled, text messages, phone messages and emails galore came in. After all of the drama and I think everything is resolved it all begins to fall apart. The pharmacy screws up the drug makers copay card and it gets denied. After 2 screw ups and I get that corrected the insurance company has 3 charges to refill the prescription. To make matters worse they screw up the prescription and think I'm a new patient on a starter dose and double up the dosage. So the insurance company has $30k worth of charges, they want my deductible x 3 and I have no idea how many of these extremely expensive drug vials I'm going to get next week. I'm at wits end dealing with incompetent people.

Like I said it's just a vent about how things are.

Donno, my sympathies... This is why I hope I never need any prescriptions. Hardly anybody ever does their job right anymore. You have to have zero expectations, so you can be satisfied. I just assume the worst anymore, that way you are never disappointed.

My wife and I have both gone through painful insurance experiences in the last two weeks. Mine switching off a plan through Healthcare.gov and he after switching to Medicare. It took weeks of a delayed prescription for her and I was double billed for January which I caught but still have to pay for part of the month. I bet there was 25 phone calls between the two of us.

Back
Top Bottom