Five Years Post Retirement!

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's been the five best years of my life! I've traveled, I've birded hard, I've improved the house.

One of the things I'm happiest with is that I've kept a daily diary, which REALLY helps remind you that the time is NOT dribbling away, that every day has a memory and an actuality (whatever that means).

But I have not achieved some of my goals, from mastering pie crusts to developing an informational website. I am not happy about that. Can I get to them now?

I am still using to-do lists - I find it satisfying to check stuff off. And every one starts with the heading "Delicious Day: [Date]!

Congratulations on 5 years of freedom. Thanks for sharing your daily diary idea. I sometimes wonder where the time goes and whether I've accomplished anything. Between DW and I, we can usually reconstruct at least some of what we've accomplished at (say) week's end. In doing so, we do feel like it has all been worth while. I think journaling might be a very worthwhile way to make it all more "official." Thanks for sharing.

It's been the five best years of my life! I've traveled, I've birded hard, I've improved the house.

One of the things I'm happiest with is that I've kept a daily diary, which REALLY helps remind you that the time is NOT dribbling away, that every day has a memory and an actuality (whatever that means).

But I have not achieved some of my goals, from mastering pie crusts to developing an informational website. I am not happy about that. Can I get to them now?

I am still using to-do lists - I find it satisfying to check stuff off. And every one starts with the heading "Delicious Day: [Date]!

Thous sound like jobs.

I wrote some important things done in a paper booklet.

Congratulations from another member of the Class of 2018!

I almost started a similar thread, but (a) you beat me to it, (b), I posted a thread after 3 years of retirement ( https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...f-retirement-after-the-glide-path-109967.html) and nothing much has changed, and (c) folks around here are probably tired from hearing from me anyway :LOL:.

Do not sweat not achieving all of your goals. Relax. There are plenty of things I thought I would do in these five years than I have not. My website I planned to enhance still has an "under construction" label". I do not dwell on that, I relish in the things I have done and am doing. There are also things I did not think about doing that I have done. I have a "mental" list - if they get done, fine, if not fine. It is more important to enjoy the day!

I am still overjoyed that in these five years our health is still good with no major issues, and that financially we still have more than when I retired. My "five year plan from the start of retirement" was "wrong" in underestimating income and overestimating expenses, but I am happy to make that type of mistake :).

Now I am working on my next five year plan, to go until I am 70. Naturally it involves some of the "burning questions" that always pop up here (SS start, Roth conversions, HSA spending, BTD items, etc.), but at this point, those are all "first world issues" so I have little, of any, concern about them.

Another Class of 2018 Member here. I am finding retirement to be relaxing and freeing. I'm not doing as many noble, save the world things as I had anticipated, but that's OK. DH has some health issues and managing those and him fills my days. And that's OK too. Just glad to be comfortable and able to do the things I need to do.

I do like your diary idea, but the OC in me would struggle with starting one in July. January 1 seems to be more appropriate. I have to ponder this. Thanks for the update!

I am enjoying the five year updates! Jollystomper, I went back and read your 3 year post. I agreed with it, particularly #11. I'd be interested in a further update.

2018 was a big class. Would love to read updates from you all!

I actually am feeling like getting moving on some of these old goals and new - but I'm not feeling pressured, or any urgency. I wonder if the lack of those two motivators helps or hurts!

Congratulations from another member of the Class of 2018!

I almost started a similar thread, but (a) you beat me to it, (b), I posted a thread after 3 years of retirement ( https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...f-retirement-after-the-glide-path-109967.html) and nothing much has changed, and (c) folks around here are probably tired from hearing from me anyway :LOL:.

Do not sweat not achieving all of your goals. Relax. There are plenty of things I thought I would do in these five years than I have not. My website I planned to enhance still has an "under construction" label". I do not dwell on that, I relish in the things I have done and am doing. There are also things I did not think about doing that I have done. I have a "mental" list - if they get done, fine, if not fine. It is more important to enjoy the day!

I am still overjoyed that in these five years our health is still good with no major issues, and that financially we still have more than when I retired. My "five year plan from the start of retirement" was "wrong" in underestimating income and overestimating expenses, but I am happy to make that type of mistake :).

Now I am working on my next five year plan, to go until I am 70. Naturally it involves some of the "burning questions" that always pop up here (SS start, Roth conversions, HSA spending, BTD items, etc.), but at this point, those are all "first world issues" so I have little, of any, concern about them.

Congratulations. It is so nice when our plans continue to do well!
Enjoy your days.

I retired 12 years ago at 59. Six months after retiring I had several people comment that I looked so much better 'these days'

My spouse used to joke that she was a work widow or a single mom because I traveled frequently and worked hard. We still eat dinner at 7PM because that was the regimen when I worked. This is not by way of complaint...the opposite in fact. It provided a good life for our family and a well financed early retirement.

At a wedding this past weekend my SIL mentioned that she was retiring after 35 years at the bank. I suggested that she get he partner do the same. Her response was he is like you, a workaholic who loves his job. When we visited you before retirement you were out of the house by 6:30, at work by 7 and never home before 6:30. Or out of town. I never really thought of myself as a workaholic until that moment. Others were but I was not.

When I retired my spouse was shocked. She was certain that it would not last.

For me cold turkey, walking away from my old life was the way to go. I started a new life. New lifestyle, new health and fitness regime. I have also become more liberal in my outlook, even more so that I had been in the past. Perhaps that came with age and/or extensive leisure travel. We had a goal to downsize and to travel. We have done both. The latter in spades.

It's been the five best years of my life! I've traveled,
[Date]!

Hi Pelice! Thank you for your post.

Your mention of pie crust made me think of my DW. She makes great pie crust. The turning point was getting a pastry cutter. That made a big difference.

I know when the crust is going to be great when I hear swearing from the kitchen. I think that means the dough is quite dry and not easy to handle.

The swearing indicator also applies to her very thin sugar cookies. When the dough is hard to handle, the cookies are great.

Cheers!

Six years for us. Also travelled a lot and improved the house. DW birded a little.

Congrats on your anniversary! Like the comments on this thread. I'm now in my 7th year and I've gone through a few stages.
First few years I was doing a ton of volunteer work which I really enjoyed , but Covid really ended that as it was in person tutoring, teaching chess, nursing home stuff, etc
Last couple of years I honestly haven't done much :LOL:

But i'm okay with that...I read a lot, exercise daily, etc but I'm def not "busy" and for now I'm fine with that. We really are a lucky bunch.

Really love the idea of a diary. Thank you for that. I'm not retired yet but this is an absolute requirement now for me whenever I do.

It will be handwritten hardcopy. I can journal on my phone but will need to put this in hardcopy for others to read and enjoy after I check out.

Mid-2018 here. It’s been a bit of a bumpy ride, with a relationship breakup and a few moves before settling in to what I still hope will be the last house! Covid pandemic also made things difficult for awhile.

Now I live in a wonderful town in the Hudson Valley, 35 minutes from my DD, DSIL, and two freakin’ adorable granddaughters. I’m gardening like mad, and planning to get back on skis this winter. (Can’t believe I missed a whole year of skiing, with multiple illnesses and moving to this house interfering.).

I didn’t retire early, and just turned 70 last month. I worked p/t for a few before retiring, which helped a lot in the transition. I don’t regret the years worked, but I wish I were in better shape physically. Retiring younger would have helped, but exercising more instead of being behind a desk so much would have helped even more!

Life is good, though. Spending the days in the gardens, connecting with new friends and old ones, and hanging with those little girls (ages 5 and 18 months) are happy days!

Congrats!

I don't keep a daily diary (but my dad did). But I do keep a daily to-do list. Actually it's in a spiral bound notebook, so it's kind of a diary. :)

Back
Top Bottom